Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Growing up in a small town.............

Kelley (Texas)

SMALL TOWNS

Those who grew up in small towns will laugh when they
Read this.

Those who didn't will be in disbelief and won't
Understand how true it is.

1) You can name everyone you graduated with.

2) You know what 4-H means.

3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit,
Or in the middle of a dirt road. On Monday you could
Always tell who was at the party because of the
Scratches on their legs from running through the woods
When the party was busted. (See #6.)

4) You used to 'drag ' Main .

5) You whispered the 'F' word and your parents knew
Within the hour.

6) You scheduled parties around the schedules of
Different police officers, because you knew which ones
Would bust you and which ones wouldn't.

7) You could never buy cigarettes because all the
Store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were
Old enough, they'd tell your parents anyhow.) Besides,
Where would you get the money?

:geek: When you did find somebody old enough and brave
Enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into
The country and drive on back roads to smoke them.

9) You knew which section of the ditch you would find
The beer your buyer dropped off.

10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring
Town.

11) The whole school went to the same party after
Graduation.

12) You didn't give directions by street names but
Rather by references. Turn by Nelson's house, go 2
Blocks to Anderson 's, and it's four houses left of
The track field.

13) The golf course had only 9 holes.

14) You couldn't help but date a friend's
ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

15) Your car stayed filthy because of the dirt roads,
And you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.

16) The town next to you was considered 'trashy' or
'snooty,' but was actually just like your town.

17) You referred to anyone with a house newer then
1955 as the 'rich' people.

1:geek: The people in the 'big city' dressed funny, and
Then you picked up the trend 2 years later.

19) Anyone you wanted could be found at the local gas
Station or the dairybar.

20) You saw at least one friend a week driving a
Tractor through town or one of your friends driving a
Grain truck to school occasionally.

21) The gym teacher suggested you haul hay for the
Summer to get stronger.

22) Directions were given using THE stop light as a
Reference.

23) When you decided to walk somewhere for exercise, 5
People would pull over and ask if you wanted a ride.

24) Your teachers called you by your older siblings'
Names.

25) Your teachers remembered when they taught your
Parents.

26) You could charge at any local store or write
Checks without any ID.

27) There was no McDonalds.

2:geek: The closest mall was over an hour away.

29) It was normal to see an old man riding through
Town on a riding lawn mower.

30) You've pee'd in a cornfield.

31) Most people went by a nickname.

32) You laughed your butt off reading this because you
Know it is true, and you forward it to everyone who
May have lived in a small town.

I would not have wanted to have been raised any other
Way!!!!

n/t

n/t

n/t

n/t

and some of those are true to me,people in small towns are like gangs,if your new in town you have to meet with their approval before your accepted,and if not accepted you'll have a hard time.neighborhoods in cities are impersonal and the seldom are like cliques.in the city you can get lost in the shuffle,in a small town everyone knows your business and if they don't they can find out easy.

use to go to parties in pastures and at a couple of gravel pits to hide from the cops,and we had to go 30 miles to buy beer,the county i live in now is completely dry:).

We had nicknames for many folks...some were not nice names. I remember our favorite spot where we would sneak off to smoke cigarettes down by the creek. Who can ever forget the mischief we would get into and how we always seem to get caught. Those were great times...no computers, no toys-r-us stores, or any of the stuff kids now have. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Yes , many apply to my growing up , but alas I did not do some of the more common thing listed where Dad was On the Fire Department , and he had a way of impressing on a young mind that any trouble I got in was nothing to what I would have if I was caught. So I never had the experiences of partying out in the woods drinking or smoking cigarettes r the wacky weed , Hot Rodding around in a car , or the girl friend on every street. Looking back it could be easily described as a very boring and sheltered up bring .... and my lack of Street Smarts, and how easily I have been taken advantage of for not being aggressive enough at times .

What really makes me stop and think was with my dad's passing and also some what my uncle too was how many people have come forward over the years with little things about my dad and uncle and what they did growing up ..... :yikes:

Multiple girls friends and partying, drinking , smoking , out running the local police and even baiting the chief of the next town over every chance they got. The kicker was they never got caught or if they did it was something small and never the big stuff.

Then later in life how they both were on the local police department for at time themselves before going on to the Fire Department and just what a pair of SOB"S they were before making that switch .

Bill G.

my dad died when I was 12 or 13 and I went wild, for the times. I never did drugs and never drank until I went in the Marines. My first drunk wad June 9th 1957 and first hangover was June 10th. It was six months before I touched another drink.

My mother should have put out a hit on me

I grew up in a decent size town that built submarines and a navy base. A lot of people came and went pretty often. Yet just a short distance we cold be in the woods, on the beach or camping on islands. We liked the camping on the islands the most in summer, and hunting at Bluff Point in the winter.

My kids up here did all the 4-h stuff, barn stuff and had cook outs all the time, summer and winter. Here we built a lot of off road cars, trucks, quads etc to raise heck with. The farm here was the hangout for a lot of kids from quite a distance away. They would come on Friday night and leave Sunday night. yet seldom would a parent check on them. If that was all the interest they had in their own kids, I was sure it would be less with mine, so I was glad to have them all here. I miss all the kids around, mine and theirs. They kept it interesting. I guess the dirt bike club fills that niche now.

George-CT