Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Growing Pains

Arkie John

If you've got a little time to take a little jaunt, come on along. Today's subject will be "Growing Pains."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About ten months ago, I was enjoying having the entire family around the home on a particular evening. We had a rare sit-down dinner. With the wife and the two

Honey, (meaning the missus)......When and why did YOU write a cheque for $250.00 to the tire store ?? :lol: At least that's how it goes at this rattrap I live in. :lol: Only half serious Arkie. But you're bang on target........most times Grace and I realize that we've only ourselves to blame for making things too easy. We're slowly making the necessary transition........for the girls sake and ours ! Thanks for sharing "real life" in todays modern world. :)

I can relate Arkie John. I helped my son in other ways, like engine repairs, but he hoofed the bill for the tires 100%. He did real good when he figured out the cost per squeal really wasn't worth it. :surrender:

n/t

Been there,done that, my friend. Sometimes we have to let em sweat a little for their own good.Both my children make as much or more money than I do-but it took a few lessons to cut the apron strings.I would gladly give them anything I have if they had a emergency- and they both know it.But the lesson of responsibility had to be taught for their own good.Good post Arkie

when money was mighty short and it was time to ante up money for school cloths. My wife came to me and said that Sherry, my oldest wanted a coat for school that was the in style.

I asked my wife what she was planning on paying for a normal coat and she said, I think it was 45 bucks. This was back in the mid 60's. I asked what this in style coat cost and she said it was 80 bucks. I said fine with me, We pay the 45 bucks and she paid the rest. She was not happy but I guess she didn't have to be. I told her that my obligation as a father was to make sure she was warm and dressed decently and if she wanted to be a style hog, that was on her.

She excepted it and paid the difference. I don't think she wore that thing a dozen times and then I guess it was out of style and she wore the coat from the year before. Her choice.

I think a parent is not doing their job if they give the kids every dang thing they want. To me they are lazy.

You dun good!!

same valuble lessons we had to learn. One thing that comes to mind when thinking about raising teenagers was my firstborn, Christi, who as you know is now 36 years old. When she got her driver's license, of course she wanted a car. At the time, 1987, about all her father and I could afford was an 81 Monte Carlo that a friend of ours sold us very reasonable. It was burgundy with a tan roof, in excellent shape, but just not a new Mustang or Camaro that she had high hopes for! There were a few miles on it, but it was plenty good enough to drive to High School and back for three years. Well, we were so excited to give it to her, and though she tried to act like she appreciated it, she did not! NOT ONE BIT! She told us it was too big of a car for her, she said she "could barely see over the steering wheel, and if one of the doors was to come open accidently, it would probably flip over with her". I don't know if she thought we would just pat her on the back and take it back for a refund or what. David told her, "well, honey, this is all you are getting from us. You can drive it or it can sit there."

That car sat there for two years, two years of which she never drove it! David would go out and start it sometimes, just to make sure it still ran, then just let it set. Finally, knowing she really did not intend to drive it, we sold it. When we sold it, she had the audacity to ask us if SHE got the money!!!!!!

Finally, when she was a senior in High School, she decided she would get a job. Seems her favorite teacher at the High School was going to sell her 1989 Camaro, and she was just dying to have it. We did break down and got a loan for the car, but we told her the first time she was ever late on a payment, it was ours. She was never late, and she worked until she got it paid off.

Now I know how daddy felt when he bought me that little two seater T-bird with the pop off top, and I told him it was okay,......but I really had my heart set on a Volkswagon! Believe me, that T-bird was gone the next day, and I bought my own Volkswagon by my own sweat and tears with my first job I had at age 16,..........at Kentucky Fried Chicken. My payment was fifty dollars a month, and daddy said he would pay the insurance! So, what goes around comes around I guess.

With my three girls, I was lucky. Probably would receive an 8 overall score if it was 1 thru 10. Now, with the stepmonsters, I am maybe, at best a 2. Been there and done it once! This second time around ain't no picnic! :)

Great story on Miss Ashlea! I can see those big ole brown eyes............pleading for sympathy and ...........well, HELP! :rofl: You're a great dad, Johnboy! ILY, SIS

It just makes it all the more special, you know. I hope it brought a grin to your face and made you think for a moment or two of the fleeting small times that we all tend to forget over time.

To see these kids grow into responsible adults is the strangest thing--and this is my SECOND time around with all this!!

By the way, I HAD to pay at least HALF of those tires you know. She'll probably be the one that chooses which nursing home I go to. :lol:

aj

So I learned by myself. Eventually, when I was older, my father came to me for advice and maintainance...In its own way, that was the best of all possible scenarios.

Calm seas

Mikie