Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Groundhog question...

Occupant

Anyone here familiar with the inner workings of the early Garrett groundhog detectors? I have both a Push Button model and an ADS version. The ADS version runs fine in AutoTune mode, but when switched to manual tune, the meter quickly rises to full scale and the audio goes along with the meter. I have tried 3 different coils and it happens with all of them, so that rules out coil problems. Any hints on what could cause this? I can handle component replacement, just need a handle on which components may be the culprit. I realize I could send it to Garrett, and may end up doing that if a DIY repair doesn't work out.
Thanks in advance,
Roger

Little before my time but a call to Garrett might really help as they provide good advice in a friendly and accurate manner..In addendum one wonders due to their age are parts readily available
and it might be cost prohibitive to repair these oldie but goodies...but then again am sure one might find one or two in a closet or dealers oldies bin and looking for one on the classifieds is a thought...

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the advice. I'll give the Garrett service dept. a call. Actually, most of the components are still available, perhaps with the exception of an IC. The circuit of the Groundhog has been in production for 30 years and is still alive and well as the Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, but now with surface mount components. I suspect an aging capacitor may be the culprit. They do tend to show their age, and it will only cost a few $ to replace them all, so I may try that.

Roger

Groundhog is fixed and working well again. I found a schematic and was checking working voltages. Some of the voltages were very low, which sent me looking at the source. I knew the batteries checked out, so began at the tray connector and progressed from there. It turns out that the connector for the wiring harness that connects to the batt tray had a broken contact spring and only 1 of the 2 batts that supply the detection circuits was supplying any power. Fixed the connector, all voltages jumped up to spec and the Groundhog is back at work.

By the way, all the components are still available, even the IC's!
Roger

Have used groundhog half of forever, groundhog ads, soething that happens is master control wears out,toggle on handle will not allow you to switch modesand sent to garretts but do not have part,but can get off feebay. obviously you have knowledge to replace. just fyi

Good point Wlle.E! That is a part that is bound to fail eventually. I would think the switch could be found without going to Garrett for it. I'll make it a point to look for a source.
Roger

They are good people at Garrett they sent me the part I needed for my groundhog free of charge including postage