Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Tracking

Billant

I've been to FAQFAQ's and i couldnt find about ground tracking i have a 70 and was wondering what it does?

Hi Brilliant,
You can either use your detector in "Fixed Balance" or "Ground Tracking". If you haven't selected the Ground Tracking button, the detector will automatically be in a "fixed" Ground Balance. If you walk from one type of soil to another, the Ground balance will likely change. If this happens, you should rebalance your detector. If you don't, you may end up with ground noise and interference that make it hard to hear targets. Press your Tracking Button (in either Coin/Relic or prospecting Mode) and a little symbol will appear on the LCD in the upper right-hand area. It looks like a squiggly snake with a line through it.

When you press the Ground Tracking button (located on the right side of your control box interface), the X-Terra detector will then quickly scan the soil very fast for a few seconds and then it will constantly "sample" the ground as you walk around every so often. As it does this, it is adjusting the Ground Balance of the detector and allowing for variations in the mineral density and even soil type. For example, you might be walking over dry sand with moist areas and perhaps even different types of ground composed of iron ore, sandstone or quartz sand etc. With Tracking on, you should be able to avoid needing to rebalance your detector too often.

However, if you find a target, you should immediately turn Tracking off. Because if you leave it on and continue to sweep the coil over the target, the detector may assume you are simply walking over a pocket of mineralized soil and may likely ignore the target signal by "balancing out" the target.

Cheers,

Marco

In order to find metallic objects(coins, rings) in the ground, the detector needs to be adjusted to ignore the naturally occurring metallic minerals(iron ore, copper ore, metallic salts, etc) in the ground.

Most metal detectors that have the capability to balance out the ground, have a knob or push buttons that the user has to adjust Manually to ignore the metallic minerals. Others have an Automatic singular button to push whereby the detector makes it own "One Time" adjustment. Other detectors sometimes have a Ground Tracking feature that acts like the detector is in Automatic mode "All the Time". Which means as you swing the coil the detector is Constantly re-Ground Balancing the detector for you.

This Ground Tracking feature is very handy for a couple of reasons:

1. You don't have to know the slightest thing about Ground Balancing, what it does, how to do it, whether or not you did it correctly or otherwise. The only thing you have to know is where the Tracking button on the X70 is and what the On Screen Icon (Sine Wave) looks like.

2. For hunting ground that varies quickly or saltwater beaches it improves the performance of the detector.

The X70 has all three methods for maximum flexibility, Manual, Automatic, & Tracking.

HH
BarnacleBill

Thanks guys

Billant..I always use the tracking feature on my X-70. Marcos advice to turn the tracking feature off when a target is found is very sound. If I get a TID I turn the tracking off pass the coil over the TID again. Once I recover the target I rescan the hole then switch the tracking feature back on and continue to hunt.

TomB

Hey Tom!

I'm embarrassed to say that I've often forgotten to turn Tracking off when I examine a target.. I know, I know.... bad behavior!

D'oh!

I guess I need to try the tracking feature. My worry is forgetting to turn it off and then back on? I know over time it would become 2nd nature, so I just gotta try it, Beale.

If you have PinPoint on it stops tracking. Otherwise a quick jab On/Off and you're good to go.

HH
BarnacleBill