Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Great Treasure Book

Keeshond John

Not sure this is the proper place for a book recommendation but here goes.

If you like to read (as I do) and want the ideal winter book, find "The Treasure Hunter" by Robin Moore and Howard Jennings. Book was published in 1974 by Prentice - Hall. Robin Moore also wrote "The French Connection" and "The Green Berets". Surely you've heard of those titles. Howard Jennings was Moore's partner in crime back in the late 60s and early 70s when those two men got together for a number of treasure-seeking adventures in the Caribbean Basin and South America. Mostly they sought out pre-Columbian Inca and Mayan gold. Tomb raiders for sure, but fun tomb raiders. Both men took turns writing different passages in the book. Moore is a fine pure writer and Jennings is good enough to read and is one funny bugger at times. He really was the classic Indiana Jones type scoundrel out to loot the country side back when that was still somewhat fashionable.

What you will like is their use of early metal detectors in their pursuit. They were some of the first men to use them on illegal sites. The stories in this book of how they pack-muled in with a dozen Indians and a Winchester 94 to find ancient burial areas is the stuff of bad movies. Fun part is these men actually did it. Any man (or woman) whoever longed for adventure and has an interest in MDing or Inca gold should find a copy of this book.

Howard Jennings was the real McCoy. I do a good bit of reading and I tend to think John D. MacDonald may have been inspired by this book when he wrote his Travis McGee novel: "A Deadly Shade Of Gold". No doubt in my mind Clive Custler's Dirk Pitt is modeled after Howard Jennings and you can clearly see this in his novel: "Inca Gold" starring his protagonist Dirk Pitt. Indiana Jones could have been lifted straight from the pages of this Moore-Jennings true adventure book. Not so much the original story but the character, Indy. Again, this book predates all those other works.

You'll love to read how Jennings and Moore managed to smuggle both handguns on board commercial flights to South America and large gold objects back. Again, this in the time before MDs at airports and terrorist threats. Back in a better world.

This is one of the few books I can reread over and over. Lots of gold, dames, guns and danger. And metal detectors. Find a copy or Google the title or the two authors.