Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

gravel parking lots

fozzy767

i hunt ballfields and get alot of hits from gravel lots...are the rocks containing alot of whatever to send my detector into overload mode???

Parking lots in general are good coin shooting spots. I've had some very nice success on gravel parking lots, but most are. tough to dig. HH jim tn

Gravel lots are hard on the machine. I can get my DFX to find large coppers at 11" under ideal field conditions, ----- about 8" almost every where else, -----and about 4 - 5 " maximum, on gravel lots. The gravel is almost like newly turned, disturbed dirt. It doesn't do the transmit signal well. Add the fact that gravel is highly mineralized and you get the picture - LOSS OF DEPTH. Overload is a great concern. I don't know what machine you are using, but lower the preamp and sensitivity (or similar controls) and get a stable solid threshold. This is the maximum depth you can get. Also slow down your swing (to moderate) and over lap at least 50%. I just got 4 coppers from a parking lot at a place popular in the early 1900's. I was shocked. They were definitely fill brought in a long time ago. They tore up the gravel and some remained. All coppers were between 2 - 5" and were ratty at best. Try the settings and let me know.

Yah, gravel parking lots are a pain to detect and to dig, but they often produce coins. Whenever I'm detecting an area where the parking is on gravel, I usually detect my way to and from my vehicle.
HH
BB

BarberBill said:
Yah, gravel parking lots are a pain to detect and to dig, but they often produce coins. Whenever I'm detecting an area where the parking is on gravel, I usually detect my way to and from my vehicle.
HH
BB

A friend of mine Vanagel found a wallet on the gravel parking lot. After several sleepless nights he decided to return it to the owner whose name and # he found inside. Now Vanagel dates her and spent already roughly 30 times more than there were money in the wallet!!

I've known girls like that! LOL
BB

Gravel parking lots are hard digging, but I've found a lot of coins in them. A couple of weeks ago I spent about 8 hours total in five or six trips hunting what was a gravel parking near the high school and athletic fields that was used from 1959 or so until around 1970. It has a couple of inches of dirt and grass on it now but the coins I found there were anywhere from one to five inches down in the gravel. Hard digging, but I got the silver dimes and wheaties in the photo plus several more wheaties, quite a few clad and memorials and several nickels. There's a sports complex just down the street from my house that also has a gravel parking area, and woodchip playground. Very few coins are lost in the playground, but the moms and/or dads evidently pull quite a few coins, and an occasional nice jewelry item, out of their purses and pockets with their keys as there's always several coins to be found where the cars park:).
[attachment 103266 parkinglot.jpg]

Just spent about 20 minutes in the neighbors gravel driveway,, picked up a quick couple of bucks in clad just under the surface,, anything deeper then 4 inches can stay tehre,, least for now

i went soccer lot shopping and picked up about a dollars worth in 30 minutes,i agree if its not on top i dont do much more than an inch

Gravel parking lots contain lots of coins and other items lost by people getting in and out of their cars.

Bill