Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Grasshopper's Holiday Hunt with Big "D'

Buddysox

The day after Christmas I received a PM from N2Treasure(Duane) in Kansas asking where I was located, as he came to Phoenix frequently and maybe we could hunt. Of course I sent him my contact info with a you bet! I am a novice and learning the ropes from a veteran would make my day. The next day I get a call from him saying he was now in town however, had not brought along his explorer. I sensed he needed a "fix" and just wanted to get his nose in the dirt. There was a large desert park near where he was staying that I thought might be good so we agreed to meet there the next day. I would recognise him by the "Big D" on his license plate. We managed to find each other despite forgetting my cell phone.As we had only my explorer 2 between us I told Duane to go ahead and set it up for himself. This took a while because I have only hunted in smartfind so far. My audio settings nearly blew his headset off. Duane saw that I was a newbie and graciously took his time and explained his settings and why he did it that way. I asked a lot of questions that day and pretty much I was "Grasshopper" and Duane was "Master". Its amazing how show and tell gets across much better than reading in a book. A park worker approached us and we both thought "here it comes" but turned out he was very nice and even gave us some tips on where to hunt as so far we had little luck at the overlook picnic site I had chose. The worker told us that there was the remains of an old Civilian Conservation Corps Camp near and gave us directions. The C's had built this park originally in the 30's, but I had no idea they actually camped here. We followed the directions to what we were told was an old volleyball court. The going was slow and tough, There were a lot of roofing and framing nails in the ground along with the usual trash. A signal found by Duane turned out to be a nice find, a 1944 nickel! just under the surface. Actually, with us switching off on the explorer allowed one to scout the area.We began by finding a concrete foundation that obviously was a shower, then other traces that allowed us to start seeing the layout of the old camp. We had been off on where we originally thought it was. In the middle of this Duane hit a good signal and up came several memorial pennies and also the 1967 dime pictured. We gave each other that "We found it now!" look and seconds later realised that the sun was setting and we had been at it for five hours and were about to run out of daylight.
Duane and I were forced to quit for the day just as we found a "meaty" place to hunt. He taught me a lot about how to hunt with the numbers instead of smartfind, I showed him what an Arizona BFR (BIG FREAKIN ROCK!) is. The digging is not easy here. A great day in spite of minimal finds. We both have SEF 10x12 coming in the mail. Duane , I will let you know how it does on the campsite as I plan to hit it again soon. Looking forward to another visit!

Visual is always better than a book especially with MD. COmputers are the same way too. How's buddysox doing? How I wish I could get a dog here in my new place but it's not allowed.

Actually, John is way better than he let's on! I did change a few settings as per Bryce and away we went to the desert sand. It was a great outing as I was getting bombarded with "hey can you fix this?" and "how do you work that?" from my wife's parents for almost the entire vacation there so I was EXCITED to get out and get some hunting done! I really think that we would have done some "night" hunting if we only had a big lantern with us. John is a great guy and I can't wait to get back there " MAYBE FEB????" and this time I will be bringing my EX2 WITH THE NEW 10x12 SEF COIL I MIGHT ADD! Arizona sand/rock did take me back a little as I'm well use to the rich black soil of Kansas but I was thrilled for us to find at least a piece of silver and as the sun was going down, found THE place to hunt...too bad we didn't find it FIRST. So John, you get those places lined up and I will be back with a vengeance!