Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPS and Detecting

Danno

Anyone here using a handheld GPS when hunting ?

Do they interfere with each other? the detector signals (and the detector affects the GPS signal)?

I just bought a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx to take prospecting.

Any tips ?

Danno:)

I have one that I occasionally take to mark a new spot. I generally only turn it on just long enough to mark spot or find my way back.

Thanks,

That's all I was planning to do with mine. I read somewhere that they don't mix too well!

I'm not sure why there would be a problem with interference. The GPS receiver just receives the satellite signal that is there anyway. It doesn't broadcast anything.

w

It was more the other way round. I heard horror stories of GPS's being 'fried' by detectors (particulally the higher powered PI ones like a 4500).

One of the best things I did to find new hunting spots was start geocaching. Look into it. Also I take the gps with me when mushroom hunting. If I find a Morel I enter it into the gps for return trips.

khouse said:
One of the best things I did to find new hunting spots was start geocaching. Look into it. Also I take the gps with me when mushroom hunting. If I find a Morel I enter it into the gps for return trips.

Hi Kenny,

Amazing coincidence that.

I was tooling around over the weekend looking for map updates and stuff on the Garmin website, and found this hobby called GeoCaching. I'd honestly never heard of it.

Well, just sent for the book, 'Dummies Guide to Geocaching' and signed up to the geocache website.

Sounds like it will fit in nicely with detecting.

[size=medium]Hi, guys! I think I'll put my two cents in here, I've been geocaching for almost 3 years but doin' the detectorist thing for maybe 6 months. At first I thought that Detecting my way to...and from a cache would be good. After all, I've recently lost a gold earring when caching in CO. Anyway, I've since changed my mind. After all, if I did a thorough job of detecting, I might never get to the cache! :detecting: Since I geocache with my BFF most of the time, it's not likely we'd be able to snag 6-10 caches in a morning if I were insisting on huntin' my way in and out.

Here's a tidbit, though. A little over a year ago, we went after a cache in my area. Though there were no homes...there were driveways and some signs that there HAD been homes at one time. Anyway, I've recently done a little research on the neighborhood. Because of flooding, a portion of the area has been sort of declared uninhabitable? People were forced to leave-leaving several streets deserted and overgrown. It gets better. I used Google to take a historical look at the area and, in 1978 (or so) the area was splattered with homes! So, when it cools off a bit more, my x-terra 705 and I will make a trip and see what we can find!

So, what I'm saying is that that one geocache lead me to discover this deserted neighborhood which, logically, I'll soon target for a bit of metal detecting![/size]

Hi Sherry,

I went out for my first GeoCache hunt today. The 'Cache' was not there. Well I couldn't find it anyway! :( I looked high and low and spent about half an hour. I was totally immersed!

Awesome hobby that will fit in nicely with my detecting!

Your right, I can see the potential for finding new patches to detect when you are led to some of these GeoCache locations.

I can invisage a whole new hobby emerging. Geotecting! Hide a coin or similar, post the Lat/Long and find the Cache with your X-Terra! :)

Cheers,

Danno

I have heard a warning at our m.d. club about handheld GPS units being too close to the Minelab PI's ...and it may be the same with other brands- I dont know
If the unit is on and it is too close to the m.d. also on...the GPS has gone off with a bang !
dont ask me why but I believe it as true.

T59

Thanks for confirming what I thought T59.

Yes, I will be careful.

Cheers,

Danno said:
Hi Sherry,
I went out for my first GeoCache hunt today. The 'Cache' was not there. Well I couldn't find it anyway! :( I looked high and low and spent about half an hour. I was totally immersed!
Awesome hobby that will fit in nicely with my detecting!
Your right, I can see the potential for finding new patches to detect when you are led to some of these GeoCache locations.
I can invisage a whole new hobby emerging. Geotecting! Hide a coin or similar, post the Lat/Long and find the Cache with your X-Terra! :)
Cheers,

Ooooooo, Danno. Sounds like a very tempting idea! It's hard enough to keep up with the geocaching and detecting. It might kill me to seriously combine the two into a NEW...obsession. :crazy:

Yes, a bit of an overload!

Would be fun though. I think some detecting clubs do go on 'treasure hunts' for pre hidden goodies.

I have never heard that GPS's interfere with PI machines, but I have heard a cell phone might. I wonder about 2-way FRS, GMRS, or UHF radios?

The X-Terra's have V-Flex which combats EMI interference very well. On the other hand the Fisher F75 is a very good machine but I heard it handles EMI interference very poorly.

GPS's are sometimes up to 30 feet off target, I guess accurate enough for most applications. Do they make more accurate GPS machines to 1" accuracy available for civilians,(like the military use)? If so then what brand?

I am answering my own question. I do not have time now as I am in a rush, but this is a place to start research to find out:

gps "accurate to 1 inch"
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4DACA_enCA220CA220&q=gps+%22accurate+to+1+inch%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

gps "1 inch accuracy"
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4DACA_enCA220CA220&q=gps+%221+inch+accuracy%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.trimble.com/

[size=medium]An update: Well, upon closer investigation of the neighborhood I referenced earlier, I DID see a few white signs. But I couldn't read the small print from my car? (How does that sound?) Anyway, my total for the hour or so that I hunted in the area was a penny and a brass water hose nozzle. Sounded like a good idea but, to be honest, the ground is currently so hard and crumbly here in the northern Harris County area (all over the Houston area, for that matter), that it wasn't worth my trouble. So, I'll take that little project off of my list. There had been a geocache in the vicinity, however. My buddy and I remembered havin' snagged it a couple of years ago.[/size]