Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got the trench dug today and it also snowed a little bit :(

Royal

gotta get the conduit in the ground tomorrow. Winter is closing in. Sucks

When does your winter start? Thank goodness you got the trench dug, but it may be cold working outdoors for you tomorrow. It was rather cool here today, but nothing like you had up there in Michigan. Kelley (Texas) :)

easy part. Here they make you fill them with sand, not stone at all. Do they do that there? Just think, you will making wood chips
and enjoying your new work shop all winter so it will all be worth it. What kind of heat you putting in it? Just enough to get the chill off or serious heat? I spent the afternoon dragging a few big trees out of the woods I've been after. My son Andy was home so I got him to give me a hand. sure saves a lot of climbing in and out of the backhoe. Stuff was in a bad area but we got them. All red oak.

I saw a bunch of deer checking out the feed back at your place tonight, about 6 or 7 of them. I can see them teaching their kids now. Keep and eye on this fella, soft touch. Just act cute, bat your eyes at him and life is good.

Geo

n/t

this area is full of small fist sized rocks. Nothing like where you live though. If a rock busts through the insulation it will ground out the thing and you have problems. I am also running a 1inch PCV conduit too for phone and web. I don't really need it for the web because I have the wireless working out there but I like having the option.

I have a lot of yard work to do also, drain the little pond and hoses and such. I will get it all done this next week. I will have the garage wired by next weekend too. Lots of work to do and little fun right now.

I had a house trailer I dragged in to live in while I did it. I put my own box and shut off right on the pole so I didn't need to call them every time I did something. Its all up on poles here until the last pole. From there, from the 200 amp disconect it goes under ground for the last 120 feet. I put in the grey pvc also and then ran 3 thick black wires, about as thick as my thumb thru them. We were going electric heat at the time so I could get a transformer on the last pole here. The only way I could get it was if I was putting in electric heat and at big welder, Low and behold, I was, but didn't.... No voltage drop here...... Althought I had a squirrel jump on it once and short it out, big loud bang and a post tostie squirrel.... Pretty sure they told me I had to go heaver because it was underground. This was 25 years ago so its all vague. I was working 14 hours a day on a job and driving and hr each way so was short on patience. Just get-er done.....

I remember they wanted it all under ground but it would have been major bucks and I could not see it as the rest of the road was above ground. Even then it was 180 bucks per pole, 150 bucks per pole anchor and 240 per span of wire between each pole. But it all worked and still does so I guess I did it right. I remember the electricians on the job were pulling out the temp wires, all #12 stuff, like new and tossing in the dumpsters. You know what my house got wired with. That number 12 is a little stiff in some spots but it worked fine.

If the rocks here were fist size I'd be thrilled. Most here are huge and a major pain in the butt. I can dig with the backhoe for and hour and get a cup of dirt and 30 ton of boulders from the days of glaciers.....There are spots here without them, but not where I usually want to dig......LOL

Geo

n/t

When I went to the WWA convention in Billings in '94 we got off the train in Malta, Montana. If you sneeze to the north in Malta Canada gets wet. I asked the station attendant when the latest snow was that she knew of. She said June 28. I asked about the earliest. She said August 19. I asked how they told the difference. When we get snow--which isn't often--it usually comes in late January or early February. Stays on the ground maybe a day. After that, mud. We did have a big snowstorm back in the '80s, tho. I had 14 inches on the ground in my back yard. Stayed around nearly a week.

Worst we've had in my lifetime was in January of '49. Hit -2 in Austin, snow stayed around for over a week. We were living in an uninsulated frame house. Broken pipes all over Austin, gas pressure so low you could barely see the flame. Austin limits gas pressure to houses to 4 oz, but with every gas stove & furnace in town at the highest setting, there wasn't anywhere near 4 oz of pressure.