Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got out for a road ride last night with the club.

George-CT

We went to one of the fellas in the clubs farm in North Stonington, CT. This is down on the coastline right on the CT & RI border. He has been and avid hunter, trapper, salt water fishermen all his life so uses his barn to display his catches that he has mounted etc.
Just like motocross riding, he goes at nothing half baked. Its all or nothing. What you see is a life time of hunting here in CT and fishing.
He provides all summer long with tuna, yellow fin and about anything else that swims at our meetings on Wed nights. Last night was no different, grilled Yellow fin. These first pictures are of the guys going up there and the second post of the Trophy barn. He eats what he catches, try's to use it all.

George-CT

He is hard core motocross racer also and the upstairs is lined with bike trophys. Great rider and fun guy to be around. he does all his own gardening and canning and is pretty self sufficient.

Geo-CT

in that barn and still not see everything. Most folks can only dream about doing all the things that he evidently has done. Kelley (Texas) :)

You folks do some interesting things together. I enjoyed seeing all the photos! Kelley (Texas) :)

With all the rain here in the last month, not much riding and then only real short runs close by. Then the last 5 days the weather broke so everyone was haying, so still no time to ride until this Wednesday night. Hay was way past due here so not the best stuff but its usable and gets it open for the next growth spurt. A lot of it went to the cows in the big wrapped round bales. They don't mind it wet I guess. We filled up half the hay loft this week, and will see what second cutting brings us. Our plans are to leave the square stuff there until Jan, Feb and March, as its hard to move around here with all the snow and ice and can just toss it down. But we like feeding the round bales the rest of the year. Put it out and its done for a week or better. Less work for us. Round bales here now are $45 to $50 bucks a bale. What do they run down that way? I see a lot of people in this area are inquiring in Canada for them to bring in a full trailer truck load. They will only make one stop so what some do is have it brought to their indoor ring, off loaded and within 3 days its all gone. Big bales but nice stuff as a rule.

Yeah, nice bunch of guys in the club. Most ride dirt and road and we all work the club track to make that possible. All volunteers who just enjoy it so don't mind working for free. With the economy the way it is, we have seen a drop in riders from and average of 450 to 550 riders per race, to around 250 riders after the first race. Just expensive to travel, fuel cost and lot of people having new jobs with less money coming in. We are find at the club, but it cuts down on what we give away to schools, hospitals, police, ambulances etc.
Most of our big projects are done so no big expenses for us except to pay the bills thru winter until our first race in April again.

Vinnys trophy barn is interesting for sure. He is also. Just loves to hunt, fish, trap, duck hunts all over for ducks and geese. His big love is offshore salt water fishing. Normally they do well selling their catch to the Japs that are just off shore about 30 miles here that will buy them up. But even that has dropped off and the cost of fuel makes it iffy at best now. They run a 30 foot blackfin boat and will use up 300 gallons of fuel on a weekend, fish or no fish as they fish off of Montauck Point Long Island. they will fish between there and the gulf stream that runs along our coastline. Fun hobby and I used to really love it myself, but I got burned out on it long ago, although I do miss being out on the water off shore.

George-CT

Some folks will use Alfalfa for their performance horses. Cattle folks will use round bales of Coastal Bermuda and when available they will use Kline Grass hay. Square bales of Coastal Bermuda is going for $8.50 bale and Alfalfa is going for $13.00 to $14.00 per bale. Kelley (Texas) :)

$5.00 a bale now, later it will go to $6.50 a bale. Alfalfa here is used on the show horses or work horses. Timothy and orchard grass here. Some do a mixture of Timothy and Alfalfa plus the grain. Most everyone grains up this way but not a lot. Seems in the last few years, they think they do better on more hay and less grain. Then again up this way, ask 50 horse people and get 50 different answers.

I remember 35 cents a bale in the field.... things have changed..... Ours are just used for trail riding and nothing hard at that so they have a pretty easy life. When we were doing the shows, that was a different story.

George

Coastal Bermuda Grass hay (9% protein) and rolled oats. I always used Alfalfa (16 -18 % protein) for young, growing horses or performance horses. The problem with Alfalfa is the possibility of gas colic. I also dislike sweet feed, or as some folks call it, Horse & Mule Feed...again, issues with colic. It is the same down here, ask fifty people something and you will get 50 different answers. :lol: Kelley (Texas) :)

joining a club and such but can see that you guys do have a good time. I would have liked to see him and his trophy barn. Lets see the fish and food buddy:thumbup: