Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got my first silver of the year today

Lori

Not that I am taking any special credit for it. I got a signal and dug. I had no clue what I was going to pull out except that it was a coin. I thought it was going to be another penny. I found 3 of them today along with 2 clad dimes.

What I found was a 1953 Roosy. I was excited about it though!!!!

I tried to help a guy find a piece of rebar that marks his property but I couldn't find it to save my life. In the process though, he gave me permission to hunt his piece of land. I don't know what I will find there but I will go back and check it out. There is alot of coal in the ground though. Anyone got any tips on how to ignore it?

Thanks,

Lori

Congratulations on getting your first silver of the year!

Finding a yard marker isn't usually too easy since you may have to fight trash as well as a sidewalk or driveway that may also have rebar. Be sure that he tells you approximately where he thinks it is and concentrate on the area. Usually they are either even with the ground or a few inches down at most (unless dirt got put on the site). I had my best luck listening for a null and then pulling the grass up where I got the null or probing with a knife or probe. If you have a Sun Ray probe - that can also be very helpful. Once you get the null, switch to the probe and verify the target. The probe should work since the marker should be shallow.

I'm not sure what you mean about " a lot of coal in the ground". If you mean residue from coal burning fireplaces, then try to avoid the area and concentrate on more productive areas. If you do dig any of this coal junk, listen to the junk once it's dug up so you can learn the noise it makes and avoid digging more. Last thing - dig nice neat holes, throw away any junk, pick up any surface trash and thank the owner. That usually opens more areas for you. GOOD LUCK!

I've been asked to find property markers many times over the years and have almost always then got permission to hunt the yard.

Markers are tough because you need to do the exact opposite of what you have been learning to do: Listen for iron and ignore higher conductors. You will need to be running with no discrimination. Generally property markers are 3/4 pipe pushed into the ground, sometimes markers at the end of a block have something bigger to detect.

As TokenDigger said try to take a tape and measure the location if he has the plot drawings for his house. Basically you need to listen for big iron.

Chris

Reduce your sensitivity as well as being in AM you arent looking for deep iron. I help people at a campground find their water shutoffs and on occassion have helped find property markers. Sometimes they will make the detector OVERLOAD which makes it easier to find. Coal ash is a pain but can be hunted. The Explorer just dont like the loose soil it creates nor does it like moe holes. Congrats on the silver. Odd, but i dont find a lot of Roseys i find a lot more mercs.

Dew

Nice silver - on the property markers, around here they tend to use rebar, down 4-6 inches or so. That's for lots surveyed in the last 30-40 years. In the old days, who knows? My property has aluminum caps on the rebar, which are about two inches in diameter. Those are easy to find.

Chris(SoCenWI) made a good suggestion to bring a tape measure in case the owner has a plot drawing of the home and property. Sometimes you can get close to the "lost" marker by measuring from an existing marker. If there are two known markers, you can measure from both of them and get an even closer approximation to where the lost marker is located. Good luck!