Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

google earth question

fongu

Hi Bob,
I was looking at some maps on google earth the other day and using the satellite section and when I tried to use the 3-d section, it said I had to download a google earth plug in and I assumed this was the thing I needed to use google earth, but after I downloaded it and ran it I got a message that it did not work. Do I need to download something else to use google earth?

Is this what it looks like when you open it?
Several have had google maps,and thought they had Google Earth.
If it is just use the wheel on your mouse to zoom in,or click and hold on the + or - on the bar on the right,
then click and drag on the map to move it.

Harold

Is there a distance measurement tool on google earth? Some means of measuring distance? ANyone know?

Yep looks like a little ruler at the top.
Click it and in the box that pops up if line is selected,you can only go in a straight line.
click once at start point,and once at end point.
If path is selected,you can just keep clicking,say along a road and it will keep measuring.
Notice in the drop down,that you can select feet,yards,miles,etc.

Harold

Is Google Earth worth the download? I like the Historical Map part of it from what I saw on the tutorial, but it sure takes a long time to download using a dial up ISP. It sure would be nice if the government would get one thing right and provide the 100mbps connection they talked about last year for rural areas as well as cities. At 44 kbps, it's a drag.

I know what you mean,I did have dial up,finally i got Wildblue satelite Internet.
There is Hughesnet also,if you have a clear view to the south they should be able to provide you service.
I had home phone that was about 60.00 a month,another 25.00 for dial up internet.plus i have cell phones.
I discontinued the home phone and dial up internet,got the satelite internet 69.00 a month.i have 100 MBPS connection.
I have the middle package,you can get 50 MBPS for around 40.00 a month.
They offer different packages.i paid for the equiptment up front.300.00.and i just pay the 69.00 a month.
or they will add some to the monthly internet charge,to pay for the equiptment.

Is Google Earth worth the download? To me it is i use it every day.

LabradorBob

Thanks Bob, you have been a lot of help and I appreciate your advice. My brother and his wife got the Hughes satellite internet for about what you have, but not at your speed. It's just outside my budget range. I guess if I was a professional metal detectorist or treasure hunter it would be worth the money, but I am an amateur. It would speed up my research, that's for sure. Their up front costs for equipment were higher than yours and that's really what I can't afford. I could cut a few corners in my budget and come up with the $69.00 per month.

Just a thought. The public library in you area most likely has a high speed connection. You can use there computers for a small fee and I'm wonder if they would allow down load to Google Earth( they may already have it). If so make a list of your points of interest and check them out at one sitting.

LabradorBob said:
I know what you mean,I did have dial up,finally i got Wildblue satelite Internet.
There is Hughesnet also,if you have a clear view to the south they should be able to provide you service.
I had home phone that was about 60.00 a month,another 25.00 for dial up internet.plus i have cell phones.
I discontinued the home phone and dial up internet,got the satelite internet 69.00 a month.i have 100 MBPS connection.
I have the middle package,you can get 50 MBPS for around 40.00 a month.
They offer different packages.i paid for the equiptment up front.300.00.and i just pay the 69.00 a month.
or they will add some to the monthly internet charge,to pay for the equiptment.

Is Google Earth worth the download? To me it is i use it every day.

LabradorBob
Bob, I checked out both these services and they list their speed as 1.5 mbps and I guess that's about 90 mbps for a minute or am I reading this wrong.

I am not sure what the wording was that you read,all i know is the lowest package
should be 50 MBPS or Mega bytes per second.

LabradorBob