Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Good ol' days! :unsure: A true story few have heard.....................

Wayne in BC

for a good reason! These pics were the happy part of the 10 days that i guided this hunter. Sorry the pics are kinda poor, i lost most of my good pics as that was the year that i fired the vengeful "cook" HWMBO.........I will back up a week first though.

My buddy and top guide Cliff, (whom you have heard about in previous stories) and i had been scouting a new area. The last several years of my outfitting/guiding career was mostly dedicated to guiding out of country hunters for Trophy Elk, Mule Deer and Black Bear.
This time however, the hunter that had contracted me wanted a trophy Moose and a Black Bear.

I had guided for Moose for many years in the northern part of Alberta where there was a very good population. The mountainous area i operated in at this time had Moose in huntable numbers but not nearby to my base camp. Because the hunter was willing to pay the extra, i was prepared to spend the time to set up another comfortable but temporary "camp" some 60 miles north, in an area i knew had the minerals and genetics to produce trophy Moose, which i had seen there, info i had locked and filed away for future profit.

We spent a couple days in that area with our quads and three wheelers. It was rugged country but crisscrossed with seismic trails from old oil exploration attempts, very few people knew how to get in there. Only one grown over and hidden access trail between bloody awful muskegs on the south end. On the north was an inpenetrable mountain range and to the east a mostly uncrossable large mountain river.
The Quads worked fine for covering ground once we cut a hidden access trail. The hunt would be horseback and on foot of course but the tents, feed, food and gear would be hauled in the three miles by quad, saving time when dealing with a temporary camp and three days prior to the hunt, we left home with two 4x4's (the last 10 miles to the jumpoff point sometimes needed some winching)too late in the day for the 100 mile drive to haul in the last of the gear. Cliff's cousin "Larry" had volunteeered to come along and help but i was not thrilled as he was not very reliable liking the "sauce" way to much..........

The weather had been fairly dry and after navigating several bog holes without winching, we arrived at the jump off point around 11 pm that night. I backed up to a bank to offload the quads and got out of the truck to stretch and get organised, only to see Larry fall out of Cliff's truck......staggering drunk he was and i scolded Cliff quietly after we had him sitting on a bank muttering and singing:rolleyes:

Problem was that he was one of those guys who would not seem to be drunk and had a huge capacity, until that last "tip over" drink. Cliff had not known how much he had drunk before picking him up and had not been concerned enough as Larry had been nipping at a bottle during the trip, but seemed ok. No point now in making much issue so we loaded up the first batch, intending to go to camp and crash, finishing in the morning. My machine was the more stable and i had a trailer behind while Cliff's was heavily loaded on the front and back racks and tough to control, so i took Larry on behind me. It was a slow torturous few miles of navigating hills, bogs, and brush with a swaying drunk on behind me but finally we arrived and deposited and blanketed Larry in the one tent that i had put up the week before.

Being kind of concerned about the weather forecast, wet, we decide to make the last trip even though we were tired and it was 12:30 am, we could sleep late tomorrow....
Back we went and got the rest of the equipment, arriving at camp, we quickly tarped and stowed everything and crashed at 2:ish am.........
continued........hopefuly more pics also

[attachment 40266 moose.jpg]

I can't help but think what an interesting and unusual lifestyle you've led. Cripes Wayner......trompin' through the bush for a living. That be like getting paid to go detecting. But I'm not kidding myself about the work involved. I'm pretty certain setting up camps and whatnot wasn't a walk in the park. All in all though, there's not many around that can lay claim to the things you've done to earn your keep. I envy people with those kinds of memories. Fred comes to mind also. I hope the day comes when we can sit over a cold beer or two and you can relate some of these tales face to face. That'd be a heckuva way to pass an afternoon !:yo: Waitin' for the rest !

someday:thumbup:
Yes it was no picnic but i was fortunate in a lot of ways.
Tell ya what tho, when i came back to the west coast and starting in guiding fishermen again.....i thought whoo hooo! They wanna pay me for this?:lol:

I think the tough part about being a guide is dealing with morons and ther are a lot of rich morons.

I would have loved to been able to share some of those years with you but the storys will have to do.

You paint a great picture too

Missed a nice 4 point [8 points for our southern friends] :)

Howver, there is always tomorrow

fair winds

M

good fresh country air. That's what I miss most of all, since I moved out of the country bush into small suburbia. Like yourself, I worked as a guide for five years, but in a tourist gold mine. I used to take people underground, have a chat about gold, mining the mine's history. Had quite a few American and Canadian tourists with me. Great bunch of people, with a good sense of humor! Miss that job!
Angela:)