Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Good ol' days part 3.........

Wayne in BC

Folks this installment will be a bit short but the series will go on for a bit as i feel i should tell it in its entirety. I do not have the sense to write these stories and save them, so just set here and it takes quite a while to be sure i get everything in order:blush:

The camp was set up in a couple days and firewood put up. With the new chain that saw worked real good. Gotta love a quad and a Three wheeler with a trailer for those kind of chores! Beats dragging the trees with a horse for sure:thumbup: When we came back to camp in a few more days time, it would be with horses and an eager hunter.

I have to reluctantly admit that the guy had me fooled. When i picked him up at the airport he seemed a very nice and easy going man. 34 years old, he was physically fit and seemed reasonable knowledgable. When i stopped at the rifle range for him to check the zero on his 300 Win mag, he shot very well indeed.

We stopped to get the horses and supplies (never leave food in camp unattended!) and all went without incident with Cliff following. (he would help me set up and then go to my Elk camp to do some prep work for Elk hunters due soon that he and Tom my other guide would handle)
We were soon riding the horses the last 5 miles as we could not trailer them through the mudholes and washouts on the road with my 3 ton truck, Cliff following with the Quad which i would use to take him back to the truck later.

I should have clued as we crested the last rise at dusk 1/2 a mile from camp and the Wolves started singing. My hunter "Joe" nearly jumped out of his skin! His eyes were big and he was shaking! Now, lots of folk have phobias and i just reacted calmly, assuming this was his.
Smiling, i said, hey we may get a chance to shoot a couple of those "Moose killers"! He just turned away and pretended all was well, but i had seen a bit of his soul.......
Continued....

[attachment 40339 SNAG_Program-0001-copy.jpg]

This the non fun part of hauling hay and gear! Cliff had got off his horse to help me, he wasn't getting wet to do it tho:lol:
We tied a lariat over the bars and....

This is more fun but still work...getting ready to go...from front to back, Frosty, Sonny, Brandy of "horse eating stump" fame, then Junior at the rear.

[attachment 40340 SNAG_Program-0002-copy.jpg]

n/t

You've got me curious as to what this Joe guy does......or doesn't do. A question for you since I've never hunted moose. If that bull had startled when you were near, would or could he have charged you ? That could be an ugly situation to be in.:shrug:

and obnoxious, that every so often I have to go out, at midnight or thereabouts, and put a shot into the air. The raprors want to get at them and we all know just how THAT would turn out. Best to scare them off I think.. :)

sunny skies

M

oh he could have took a run at me, specially since it was rutting season. He would have been shot real quick if i had to, or i would have kept a tree between us and used the muzzle blast to intimidate, done that before but thats another story;)I had just come down a trail between some thick willows, the snow was silent, and wind in my face. I just backed up and started counting my money:biggrin:

1984 I was charging 2500 US for a 10 day hunt for Moose. That was one on one.
To do pack in wilderness hunts required me to keep at least 12 head of horses year round and a ton of time and other equipment.My outfitting license required me at a minimum to be able to keep 4 men in the field for 14 days.
Like anything else, there were cheaper hunts available, some were 2 or more hunters per guide. I was on the Safari club "recommended guide list" and got a few bucks more.
Now it costs twice that much with most top guides. Bighorn Sheep hunts now cost 20 thou plus, if you can get one!

Thanks for fixing the pics Doc!:thumbup:
I just suck at editing pics, like i said i spent hours scanning and thought i had it but saved them to the wrong place and........arghhh!

similiar to the way i use to do the riding lawn mower,boy wayne,by the time you paid your guides and figured in supplies and stuff you had to stay busy.