Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Goldquest day2 "on the beach"

jeff a

Did my first lowtide with the new Goldquest this morning; Temp. 30* and snow too! The dedector ran nice and smooth, found a million nails, wire, screws, etc, a few coins and a whitegold crosswith 5 saphires about an inch tall! I was surprised at the way it handled and responded to coins. the signals from coins were very weak and hard to get excited over. I did find if i turned up reject from say "0" to "maybe 1 or 2 it responded a little better. Am i by doing so lessening the machines ability to pick up gold? , or is a wee bit of rejection ok? Maybe i'm off base already?? Let me know . :help::shrug:

Jeff,

The Goldquest's primary ability lies in the deep detection of gold items. Coins are not detected to the same depth when you factor in the relative surface area of a coin v a gold ring, this is why many users went for the Goldquest detector(s). Coins don't excite me but of course I dig them up as they really add up after a summer (we have lots of $1 and $2 coins in Australia).

1. After getting some hours under your belt with the Goldquest, those nails, bits of wire and other irregular shaped pieces of iron will not bother you...even symmetrical pieces of iron (bottlecaps, washers, etc) will cast doubt on whether you should dig or not. I've yet to dig a gold ring (9kt-22kt) that didn't sound off a lovely audio.

2. Increasing the REJECT may result in reduced detection of the smaller/finer gold rings but coins and the larger/chunkier gold rings can be found deeper. This is to do with the signal decay of certain items....the smaller/finer gold rings need the REJECT down around 10uS-15uS in order for them to be "captured" by the pulse signal, whereas some coins, big gold rings can be found deeper with the REJECT around 20uS.

3. A certain amount of REJECTION is needed for the beach environment as you are competing against the signal of the salt content of the sand and water. Generally, the REJECT setting must be increased as the volume of sea-water increases, either in the sand or in the water itself. The SAT feature can be increased prior to any REJECT increase as this helps maintain a steady threshold that the salt content will try to disrupt. Typically, you can run 10uS on the dry sand (SAT at MIN), about 13uS on the damp/wet sand (SAT at half way), 15uS-20uS in the water from ankle deep to above the shoulders...my Goldquest is designed for complete submersion. These settings are for my beach conditions....clean white sand and minimal electrical interference.

Hope this all makes some sense to you.....If I can work it out then anyone can.

All the best with your great detector,
Tony.:ausflag:

PS Ask as many questions as you like.