Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Test

Goldinwater

Can anyone tell me how to test for white gold with the acid test kit. I have a ring marked Triton Steel and it test like it is at least 18kt gold. My problem is I have other rings that are unmarked and feel and look like white gold but now I don't what they are for sure. Thanks for any info.
Chris

n/t

I have an expensive acid test kit that is electronic and uses acid gel as well together. I found a ring the other day that looks white gold and is stamped 316L inside. One of the guys on the forum told me that 316L is stainless steel. Well someone said to test it and I did. My test kit tested it at 18K. I then tested a 10K ring and it was 10K. I then went back and tested the other ring again and it says that it is 18K. My tester won't lie. As a matter of fact if it is fake gold or gold plated the machine will say NOT GOLD on the display. So I am scratching my head wondering is it real or memorex??

The most sure way to check it would be
with specific gravity.Some stainless
steels are acid resistant to a point
were it would confuse your test.