Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold question

qwk

I know gold id's in the 8-45 range using the f-75, but is there any way other than digging every signal to distinguish it from foil? I have dug hundreds of foil gum and candy wrappers, some as deep as 8 inches at a soccer field where gold jewelry may be. It's worse than digging pull tabs.

Sadly no. :cry:The only chance is when it's a gold ring, this should give a fuller(rounder) sound. And at times a medallion depending on shape & size will sound fuller. But chains, earrings, broken rings, broaches etc can sound pretty ratty like foil. Kind of goes with the territory, harder work yields the better finds.

HH
BarnacleBill

I agree there is no sure fire way to tell in advance or a way to improve your odds.

When I get tired of digging foil signals I do start becoming more selective, instead of giving up completely. I look for signals that do not vary in ID#s no matter which way I sweep the coil over it. I ALSO listen for a double blip. Back when I only did the beaches, most foil signals that gave off the double blip as the coil went over it was a ring or a washer or something with a hole in it like a pull tab ring.

I hate passing foil signals up, I look for the deeper ones, but, who is to say a recent ring loss hasnt occurred?

Its part of the hobby........

Tony