Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Nugget settings

What settings do you use on your MXT for gold nugget hunting? I asked this question a few years ago and Nancy posted what settings she would use, I tried these settings and tested them using a small vial of gold nuggets and unless my coil sat directly on top of the vial, I could not distinguish and difference from the surrounding ground. I had gone nugget hunting the day before with a friend who was using a different kind of detector, and he came home with 6 small nuggets, from the size of a large grain of rice to what looked like a piece of glitter. I put my Double D 7-inch coil on and tested again, with the same results. Nancy's post was titled, "The MXT is a gold magnet"....sorry Nancy, I tried and tried, but have absolutly no faith in my MXT as a gold magnet, yet I know it's capable finding small nuggets. I even called Jimmy Sierra here in California, and he too told me that my MXT can find gold....here is how Nancy said to set my MXT: RELIC MODE: Start off with the gain set at "8", dual control (aka discriminator) set at 2-1/2, set the threshold where you like it, (quiet). Put the trigger to the forward position. Avoid the low grunt sounds (iron) and dig the faint "high" sounds.
Any hints, or suggestions other than getting the type of detector my friend has? PLEASE?

Have you tried the Prospecting mode? It was designed by Jimmy Sierra just for prospecting and those who have done well with the MXT use the 4X6 coil. Experience is also a big factor, was this your first time nugget hunting?

Here is a good thread on nugget hunting and there are many more if you use search.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?25,1642998,1646579#msg-1646579

Thanks Larry, I've used the prospecting mode as well and had the same kind of luck. I've been using my MXT for about 7 years now and have had great luck with coins and artifact hunting, but living here in gold country, I thought I may as well try some nugget hunting. In prospecting mode last weekend I found a sterling silver necklace pendant and a sterling silver ring with 13 green peridot stones. I know I'm in good spots, especially when my friend is finding nuggets. I'll watch the link you sent, thank you very much....I re-measured my smaller coil, it's an Eclipse DD and measures 5" wide and 10" in length.

Some info I have gathered for you.

I have hunted for gold with the MXT in northern CA, OR, and northern NV in some pretty bad ground. I have not found a ground that the MXT will not find nuggets in. I have found 1/2 grain pickers 3 inches down and the settings are simple: turn the mode to gold prospecting and turn the hyperSAT all the way up with the gain as high as possible for the ground conditions you are hunting in. Anything that shows a 10% to 20% iron signal you dig. Anything else you pass. It is probably the best gold machine out there for small nuggets and pickers. It is better than most due to the low frequency and it will find pickers deeper than the others so advertised to find small gold nuggets.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?27,1832170,1832170

There is a link to the technique that got that gold.

i have found nuggets here in arizona with the mxt :detecting:
run it in Prospecting mode with the auto track on & a slite threshold
you should have the 6 x 10 dd or the small 3 x 6 the stock cant handle the harsh ground that nuggets hide in
forget the meter use your ear
hunt slow listening for small zips & keep the coil close to the ground
slow & low
you will dig a lot of trash but with persistence you will get nuggets
it takes time & practice
this dog will hunt :thumbup:

Your problem is probably your test item. Every time I hear "vial of gold" I know there is going to be a problem. The gold is probably too small, and putting several pieces in a vial does not help. But that is another story.

You need a test nugget. Preferably about a 1/2 to 1 gram gold nugget. As far as settings the MXT will find gold in all modes as long as no discrimination is used. Prospect mode is simple but many people prefer relic mode. Details at White's MXT Page

After rereading the first post I noticed a problem. It says "set the threshold where you like it, (quiet)" low is fine you want to hear it but quiet if that means silent then you have no idea where it is. That would be almost guaranteed to lose. I was out yesterday hunting an area that had the top 10 feet freshly removed just to check it out. I finally got booted out. Apparently it was state owned but they hadn't posted it yet so I felt free. I didn't find anything. I was taking a long shot that the river may have meandered over there at one time. I took a throw down nugget 3/16 to 1/4 round against the ground that was reading 80 to 81 I was hearing it move thru the field at over 4 " and a medium sized throw down ring I was hearing at 12 to 14 inches this with a 6x8 SEF on my MXT Pro. I went to get my 5.3 as there were some small indications that were hard to pin point but that was when I got the boot. I found a number of decomposed stones that read good and areas the appeared to have been burnt that indicated also. All in all it was fun to be standing on ground that hadn't seen the light of day for thousands of years. This is at Carson City Nevada. The guy that booted my said they are going down another 20 feet. What it is to be I don't know.