Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

gold???? need help

...or instead of messing around, take it to a jeweller's and they'd be able to tell you for sure.

If you think it's gold ,and you don't have a test kit ,you can put it Bleach for a few hours. If it turns Black it's not Gold.If it's Gold it won't do anything but stay Yellow.

thanks junklord i put it in clorox .ill leave it in overnite .ill let you know tomorrow.again thanks for your help.im from pennsylvania and i dug it from an old area in town.that would be neat to fiind gold in pa.

>>>Unfortunately you are not the only person who has asked me about using bleach(chlorine like in the brand name Clorox). You see, chlorine in bleach, hot tubs, swimming pools, etc. is one of the most destructive chemicals to jewelry! White gold is most drastically damaged and some yellow gold is damaged while some is not. Still, chlorine can and will discolor gold. I cannot say what the spots on your chain mean without seeing the chain; however, I suspect this is simply a tarnish caused by the chlorine in the bleach.

Tarnish caused by chlorine may affect places where the chain is soldered first. If the links look like complete loops with no gap in the loop, the links are soldered. All better chains are soldered links. Solders may be damaged and weakened by bleach. If white gold, the gold can actually fall apart! The worse damage to jewelry by chlorine is generally seen in rings with stones set into white gold prongs. The chlorine works on the stressed places in the gold, such as prong ends holding the stones in place. The prongs are bend and forced onto the stone when the stone is set and this makes stress in the metal, sort of like when a coat hanger is bent back and forth. When bent back and forth enough, the coat hanger will break. The stress in the prongs is just from one bend but that is the place chlorine starts to work. So, we see rings with the prong tips gone!

CHLORINE IN BLEACH IS NOT A WAY TO TEST FOR REAL GOLD!
Don't knock yourself for doing the bleach thing. Lots of folks have done it. One questioner actually ruined a white gold diamond ring this way and the settings had to be replaced.<<<

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Jewelry-Gems-Minerals-689/acid-test-gold.htm

If it has the potential to be valuable, why mess around? Take it to a jeweller and find out for sure.

Bleach is one of the most destructive things that gold can come in contact with. I have seen lots of rings that craze and fall apart because of people cleaning them with bleach. If you can imagine how dry mud with cracks looks that pretty much explains how rings look that have been soaked in bleach. I know what you have is not a ring but if its gold, bleach is a no-no. Please just get someone to test it for you with the proper chemicals.

damn i soaked it before i read these messages.it did turn color though.does that mean it is not gold?im not the smartest kid on the block when it comes to this kind of stuff.thanks for your help. tim from pa

Don't know, because I would never soak gold in bleach. But would think that a kt. gold would tarnish probably anything under 18K. being soaked in bleach. My question why are you not getting this tested by a jeweler or someone with a test kit? There may be someone near you or on here with a test kit that may be willing to help you.

ok sandpiper ill do that.just thought i would take the easy way.i dont even know if we have a jeweler local.but ill find one.thanks again for your time. tim in pa

Take a piece of porcelain that is rough and not glazed and draw it across it and gold will make a gold streak.
If it's not gold, it will be black.