Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

gold necklace or not ?

buckroe rick

have a gold chain marked 14k,checked with minelab excal 2,nothin.
got 10 k chain for xmas,checked with detector got nothin.
put 14 k ring down got beep.
is there a problem here or what!
mabe this is why i havent found any chains made of gold!
have found silver chains.
anyone got any in put on this!!!!!!

They are pretty fine chains with very small links and very small clasps ... right?

I don't have an Excal but my CZ20 acts the same way.

My Tesoro detectors hit on those chains at a couple of inches if the discriminator is set to just exclude small iron.

The CZ hits deep on rings but doesn't see the small chains. I have read the the same is true with the Excals.

The eddy current generated is by the small individual loop of the chain. It isn't summed across the total mass of the chain since the loops don't cross couple. May see a small chain in all metal but not when you run discrimination. Silver is much higher conductivity and a small link silver chain will discriminate out higher than a small gold chain ... but not by much.

Sometimes all the detector hits on is the clasp, not the chain. I have found chains that when I took the clasp off to test, I would not find the chain without the clasp but would find the clasp by itself.

From what you have described I don't think you have a detector problem. Chains can be very difficult to find.
tvr

It depends on the size of the chain. most of the ones Ive found with the sov had a lobster claw clasp or they are larger chains and are never too deep.
The CZ when not in salt mode will do better on the smaller chains than the sov.

HH
Neil

Small gold chains tough to pickup unless they have a large clasp or medallion or charms or rolled in ball...All metal or PI units will pick them up along with every fishhook and bobbi pin so pro's and cons either way...

Yes, the Excal finds them better in salt water, than anything else I've ever used. The unit makes a broken low tone over them, when you sweep SLOWLY over the target.

The fine chain in this pic, was recovered with the Excal 1000 in Disc. There was NO pendant, charm or medallion on it. That fine looking honker with the medallion was recovered by a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, but anything would have sounded off with that medallion, LOL!
[attachment 113986 18K04-07.JPG]
This one was recvoered with the Excal 1000 in Pinpoint, then switched over to Disc and it was a broken low.
[attachment 113987 Gold0837.JPG]
This one was recovered with the Excal 800 in Disc, once again, broken low. Dig the nasty sounding ones, every now and then, it's NOT a bottle cap, savvy? I ASSURE you that unit is the right choice for chains, I own 3 of them.
[attachment 113988 Gold0838.JPG]

thanks gulf hunter,really cool finds you got there!
had my excal three months,found 23 rings,really nice gold cross,plenty of coins.
live in virginia,have plenty of places to go hunting.
have been really blessed to find the things i have found so far. (not complaning at all)
i was trying to figure out what the deal was with the chains.
thanks for your input,and the confidance booster.
like reading your words of wisdom,about something thats very dear to my heart.
this is really the greatest way for me to relax,have fun,take away all my troubles.
what you share is been helpful to my self ,and im sure alot of other people.
dont find it all save some for me if i ever get a chance to get down south.
have good new years!!!!!

Good luck and have fun hunting for that gold buckroe rick!

Picture is of a wrist or ankle length chain I got with the CZ. Note the larger links mixed with the small ones. The detector hits much better on the large links and the claw clasp. With a magnifier I can make out 14k Italy. That chain had been in the water for a while. I have tried electrolysis for hours and it didn't get better than this. I also pulled an equally coated gold filled ring from the same general area that the chain came from.

That finer chain the Gulf Hunter shows laid out circling the wedding band is a very nice find. That would have been a real iffy for me with the CZ.
tvr

Let me start by saying that I absolutely love my Excal 1000.

For this year, 56 gold rings, 74 silver rings and tons of coins.

The thing that convinces me that its not that flash on chains is the number of pendants I've found.
Just counted them, 16 silver, 1 gold and one thats half 925 and half 18ct.
All of these had to have come off a chain, and yet never was a chain to be found anywhere in the area.
And I dont hunt the surf where chain and pendant could be widely seperated by wave action.
The waters I hunt in are for the most part relatively still except for a bit of chop on extreme days, and yet I could not find the associated chain.
I have found a few silver chains, generally fairly chunky ones and one heavy gold one but none of the fine chains that most wear with pendants.

Lou.

I conducted a test recently on some small gold chains the wife and I own. The detectors I used were the Sov XS (used the coin search and S-12 coils), Mxt and Excal 1000. None of the 3 registered in either all metal, pinpoint, or zero disc.

For the good news. if you hunt the dry sand with a Gold Bug 2 you may just find all the goodies others have left behind. Be prepared to do a lot of digging and use a scoop with small holes.