Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold in Western NC Rivers ?

MichaelB

Hello everyone :).....

I live in the western part of NC (Transylvania County) and am located right on the bank of the North Fork of the French Broad River. Over a year ago I got an MXT (love that machine) and purchased an Eclipse 4 x 6 Shooter DD coil to go with it. Now I'd like to ask a question on behalf of my brother - who suffers from a terrible case of "gold fever"....

I got the MXT with the intention of detecting everything and anything, and I've been having a blast doing just that... however my brother is determined to use the machine to go nugget hunting along the river, less than 100 yards from the house. Numerous internet searches about the history of gold in the immediate area has yeilded absolutely nothing; which isn't very encouraging. Nevertheless, I'd like to ask if any of you may know if nugget hunting in this area is a good idea, or probably just a waste of time ? Is there anyone else in western NC that has hunted for gold in and around the rivers ?

Pointers would be great - that is if this is a viable plan...:).

Many thanks !

MichaelB

I've never hunted gold in that area, but I went to my GPAA claims guide book and their is a gold belt its called the western belt that runs northeast from Transylvania county , Henderson, Buncombe, McDowell, Burke, Caldwell, Wilkes, Alleghany county. Now if the rivers and creeks run to the south, southwest of those areas then you got a real good chance of finding gold, And the MXT is a good prospecting machine.I've found allot of gold with it, but I do use the 6 X 10 DD coil. I would try it if I were you. good luck and let us know what you find.:thumbup:

MichaelB,

There is gold in your neck of the woods, I would let your brother try to find some, there may not be a lot of nuggets, but there should be fine gold in most of the creeks and rivers in your area.

I would check in cracks and crevices as gold being the heaviest will be "trapped" by these as it is being moved by the water, and your detector can help find the "best cracks", if you find other metal (lead, iron) in the cracks the gold if any will be lower in the cracks.

Here is a link to "old mines" in N.C. by county, there is 1 old mine listed in your county, it is located "Georgetown Creek, a tributary to the Toxaway River" which is not far from you, keep in mind that most of these old mines are "lode deposits" (still in the surrounding rock), but "placer deposits" (gold eroded out of lode deposits) is what your brother is looking for, is often found near these old mines.

The mine in your county is on page 10 of this list.

http://www.mindat.org./minlocsearch.php?frm_id=mls&cform_is_valid=1&cf_mls_page=1&minname=Gold&region=North+Carolina&sort=&submit_mls=Search

There are other mines in counties around your county.

You should go with your brother, if ya'll find any GOLD don't "look directly at the GOLD, as this will lead to GOLD FEVER":shocked: there is "NO CURE":shocked: for GOLD FEVER, only THERAPY!!!!:blink::super::lol:

Skip

AMEN ABOUT GOLD FEVER, and THERAPY does not work!!!!!!!!! I EAT SLEEP AND WORK thinking about NUGGETS, and the 14 years I've been prospecting, IT ONLY GETS WORSE:confused::shrug::look::crazy::wacko:

Thanksobe for the replies... and especially for the link. I'll be googling the place to see what I can find out about it :)....

MichaelB

Bob,
Any chance you could look in your GPAA claims book and See if there is anything to gold in New Hampshire? I would really apresheate it. I live in the north The White Mountains of NH! Thanks! George

George, Your in luck I checked my claims guide and there is gold in the White Mountain area. The Wild Ammonoosuc River and its tributaries, especially Bowen, Davis, Dearth, Howe Hill, Petty and Witcher Brooks, near Benton, and Tunnel Brook, east and southeast of Benton.

NH placer gold may be found in:

Carroll County: the Ellis River, near Jackson, the Swift River, near Conway.

Cheshire County: the Ashuelot River, near Surry, Gulf Stream, near Chesterfield.

Coos County: Indian Stream and Perry Stream, near Pittsburgh, the Dead Diamond and Swift Diamond Rivers, north of Errol, Clear Stream, between Errol and Dixsville.

Grafton County: the Ammonoosuc and Wild Anunonoosuc Rivers, the Baker River, near Marren, the Beebe River, the Gale River, near Franconia, the Mad, West Branch and Upper Mad Rivers, near Waterville Valley, Notch Brook and the Salmon River, near Lincoln, Salmon Hole Brook, near Lisbon, and Tunnel Brook, near Benton.

Sullivan County: Bloods Brook, near Sullivan, the Cold River, near Acworth, and Willow Brook, near Plainfield.

I hope this helps good luck.

Bob...
Thanks so much for the info....I am now fighting a bad case of "gold fever"!! Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day...looks like I may be taking a ride to the river!! Really appreciate the help....will let you know if I have any luck..George

Have fun George, and good luck to ya!:thumbup:

hello everyone,

I think that gold fever is beginning to haunt me. I tried for the first time to search in the gold belt area(rutherfordton etc)but all I found was the tourist trap places that claim to be gold camps. What I found there was a pile of dirt and no gold. You can imagine that I am somewhat jaded.

So, without giving your priviledged info, could anyone give me an idea as to where I might have more luck? Creeks? Rivers? I am in henderson county. Thank you very much in advance. J