Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GOLD CLASS RING RETURNED.......

Sgt. Silverman

.... to a Sheriff who came to my house this evening. Allow me to start from the beginning. I found the girl's class ring on Saturday. I began looking up the girl Saturday afternoon and even enlisted my sister-in-laws help to see if the girl has a FaceBook page. Apparently, she is now the 3rd person I know next to my wife and I who DON'T have a Facebook account. So after looking up the last name in the phone book, (it's pretty close to a Smith or Jones) so THAT was a waste of time, not to mention the girl goes to school 15 miles north of here. Off to the WORLD WIDE WEB! Yup, dead end. Again, the all-to-simple-and-common-last-name kept popping up with 97 bazillion results. So I figured, "I'll just contact the High School Monday morning". And it all went down hill from there.

I was explaining to a friend of ours yesterday who teaches a bible class at a local community college what happened and he recommended NOT asking for the student but explaining everything in detail to the person answering the phone and then asking for their email address, and then asking them if they could forward the email to the parents. Sounds like a great idea huh? Yeah.... no. It would have been, had Katie KNOWN HER RING WAS MISSING. So after crafting a very thorough email from my work email address to the parents explaining who I was and what happened, along with attaching my company business card, I sent it off and was feeling very good. Very peaceful. Until I get a call about a half hour later from the Sheriff's department. The sheriff asked a bunch of questions and I was caught a little off guard. Apparently when "Katie" was questioned, she did let the Sheriff and the school know that indeed the picture I sent WAS her ring, but she didn't know it had been missing at all. The sheriff then explained to me on the phone that Katie had asked him to "pick it up for her". (I can appreciate this since she's still a minor, plus I wouldn't feel comfortable with that any way even with Al and the kids unless her parents were there... which was my utopia-end result to begin with) He asked where we could meet and I gave him my home address.

He showed up and was very nice. He met Alissa and the kids and he loosened up a bit and told me that Katie's grandfather had purchased the ring for her and that she had, "just thrown it in a back-pack and kept it in there". She didn't know she was missing the ring until all the hoopla today apparently. Needless to say, no pictures were taken. Sorry Mike. As for me, I learned a lot today. What I learned is, "JUST BECAUSE YOU FIND SOMETHING DOESN'T MEAN SOMEONE IS MISSING IT". I'm sure the Sheriff realized by the time he put the pieces together that it wasn't stolen and that surely Katie dropped it. As for not knowing it was gone, I guess with teenagers today I can see that. Face buried in an I-Phone testing some girl and whatever.

Not the outcome I was expecting at all. However, I did glean a teachable moment with the girls that regardless of what you find, if you can find out who it belongs to, you should always return it. Mr. nice Sheriff with the big-happy Glock and taser agreed with Daddy. Mission accomplished. God Bless folks.

Greg

you did the right thing!

she would have missed it and then would be blaming someone for stealing it out of her backpack...never realizing it had dropped out of it? I can see her grabbing the bag with the flap open and it falling out unnoticed, as young ones are always in a hurry to get going to the bus or whatever! So glad you were able to give it back to her by police and this shows she and her parents were cautious and made sure nothing was awry and everything was on the up and up.....good for them...ya just can't always trust strangers...even those who are trying to do a good deed! Glad she was able to get it back and congrats for the good deed you did....even with all the trouble of doing so...Maybe she will take better care of it now and grandpa must be pleased after finding out the ring was lost to have it returned to his granddaughter! Some older people don't have the money just to throw away by someone's carelessness! A good ending to a good find....maybe next time you will find a nice gold ring or coin you can keep with God's blessings! Amen! :thumbup: :angel: Ma

is this way. I don't try and contact the person or find where they live. Example: Contacted Alumni website of High School and told the web master I had a class ring belonging to So and So and if you can contact him and let him know. If you can do that let me know if he wishes to have it back and I'll give you my phone number to forward to him. That worked out great and I got the guys ring back to him in Florida.

Glad you were able to return the ring.