Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Going to Galveston

bigeye

Hi All,
I had asked about places to hunt in Florida previously. The plan was for a friend from Denver and me from NJ to meet some where for a long weekend hunt. It turned out Florida from Denver and NJ was difficult to coordinate. We now have a definite plan in place. We fly to Houston and drive and stay in Galveston, TX. I will bring my Minelab Explorer and my friend will bring his Garrett Ace 250. I am aware of the no hunt laws in state parks in Texas and they don't want to issue a permit. Galveston has about 32 miles of coast line. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to go. I plan to bring some beach scoops as well as some digging tools in case we go off the beach. I also understand there is a metal detector store in Texas City which we will be driving through. I would appreciate and suggestions on good places to try? We have never been to Texas before to hunt.. I have mostly hunted the beaches of the Jersey shore and my friend from Denver usually goes to local parks..

bigeye, I've never been to Texas but I have read several books about the 1900 hurricane that destroyed Galveston. One titled: "Isaac's Storm" is very good because it has maps and pictures of the ruined city. It also describes how the original beach front has been built up and changed from 1900.

This may, or may not, apply to a hunt in Galveston but I think a person who goes there with a detector should be aware of this history. Until Katrina hit New Orleans it was the most expensive natural disaster in US history. Still holds the record death toll at about 10,000.

Gulf Hunter is the big dog in Galveston. If you asked him really nice he might point you in the right direction. He's one hardcore pirate so think twice before you ask to tag along with this looter, he likes 8 hour hunts and tickling bull sharks on night hunts.:yikes:

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

I live in Massachusetts, but was in Galveston last Aug. on vacation ( not hunting ) looking at the devastation from the last hurricane. What was the shore line was now gone and it is about 200' further inland then before. This was now the new shore line. Many homes that were on the beach were gone alone with the land they sat on. I'm going to be in TX. the first week of Aug. again this year. I go to Port Aransas with my two sisters every year. We spent the week together having a great time. I was thinking about bring my Infinium with me, but I'm afraid I'll spent all my time hunting and not visiting with them. Have you ever taken a detector on a plane, does the airlines give you problems with them? Just wondering how they feel about things like that. I always do the carry-on and never check my bags, I travel light. Good luck with your hunt, when are you going? Let us know how you make out!

Went to Galveston for a week during the minus tides in Feb. 09. Spent most of my time at Stewart Beach. At the time they were taking sand from East Beach to restore the beaches West of Stewart Beach.

Also about 20 miles West is Surfside Beach. Didn't go there myself but understand they will charge a couple of bucks to get on the beach. HH

Ron

Store in Texas city owned by Rocky is not open all the time. Stewart is popular and in the off season you can just drive through unless something has changed in a few weeks. I live in and hunt this and other areas along the beaches in Galveston. Keep in mind that a lot of beach front has been beefed up to raise the level due to Ike destruction. PM me when you get close to coming out and I'll try and help you out.