Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Going to Cuba, Got Questions..

area51zc

Hi everybody,

I don't think I've posted much here but I enjoy MDing and would like to bring my MD with me to Cuba in April.
Has anyone done this? If you have... Checked or carry on? Broken down in size of coarse.

Rob

What is taking you to Cuba? Also, smuggle back a few Cuban cigars. They will move quickly in the classifides. Good luck over there. HH jim tn

I'm just curious where you got that information. The same type feedback was given for metal detecting in general, many years ago, by a Fisher periodical, pertaining to Mexico. Someone had written in to the Fisher periodical letters-to-the-editor, asking if metal detecting was legal in Mexico. Fisher's editorial column responded "no, metal detecting was not allowed". In subsequent issues of this periodical, other people wrote in saying "since WHEN?" "Where'd you get that info?" "We m.d. there all the time with no problem", etc... Fishers response to the detractors was simple: When they'd received the earlier inquiry, they did the obvious homework: They asked! Yup: they sent off an inquiry to a Mexican lawyer, or consulate, or other such bureaucrat, and were told "no". Hmmm, seems like a pretty noble course of action to me, right? I mean, who better to ask than Mexico themselves, right? Doh!

But the people writing in to Fisher pointed out: Detectors are a common site on tourist beaches. All the major manufacturers have dealers down there, INCLUDING Fisher!

I'm not saying that Cuba might not be some sort of exception, and may really have people who care-less. But I just wonder the source of your info, and wonder if it may not be along the same lines of "ask enough people, and you'll eventually find someone to tell you no" type thing.

Google "cuba metal detecting beach". Every thing I read indicates you are not going to like the answer. Generally in that area, it is stated that all the beaches are nationally owned and one can not take anything from a national park area. Not sea shells or anything. Kind of like our National Historic sites. Jim

From friends wanting to detect there, then cancelling the trip to go elsewhere. They emailed the Cuba consulate and were given the bad news. There was a time when you weren't supposed to detect in Mexico either. But it is tolerated on the beaches. Don't get caught detecting near any ruins. They are protected, and nobody wants to get in trouble in Mexico.

John, thanx for answer. It was as I suspected. You say your source is persons who "....emailed the Cuba consulate and were given the bad news" This is similar to the reason Fisher Co. gave for their answer about Mexico, many years ago when the question was posed to them. Who better to ask than a bureaucrat or lawyer representing the destination? :lmfao:

But Fisher had no answer to those who objected that Mexico has lots of md'r hobbyist, and that there are dealers (even Fisher dealers) down there. All I can figure is that when you pose the question to someone at a desk somewhere, the answer may be couched in terms of ship-wreck salvor laws, historical monuments, federal or state land (as oppposed to city or private land), etc.. etc... I mean, it would be no different than if someone were coming to the United States, and wrote ahead to the average lawmaker or lawyer here "Can I metal detect in the united states for treasure?". They also might be told "absolutely not", because the person fielding the question is thinking in terms of ARPA laws, Mel Fisher, Bodie or Shiloh, etc.....

Maybe it is a case is ask a bureaucrat and they will tell you no.

But personally I wouldn't risk having my detector confiscated.

Trying to get it back would probably be difficult, might be impossible and almost surely would be expensive.

Well, how about this for an experiment, I'm going to ask customs here (Ontario Canada) the best way to go with the detector, checked (so its less of a threat on the plane LOL!) or Carry on (So they can have a look at it).

If I get it to cuba we'll see what happens.
The worst would be they confiscate it.:rant:(<-- me yelling at Cuban Customs agent) :look: (<--Me in Jail 1 hour after yelling)
The best would be it makes it to the beach and I find some Cuban pulltabs :pulltab:(<---Cuban Pulltab)
I'm thinking I may have to pay off a few people at the resort.
What are your thoughts on this?

I don't want any trouble but what a story to tell my kids

I can only imagine to bootie (pun intended) that I'll find on the beaches of Veridero, Cuba :thumbup:

Leslie...Please tell your story. I'm not going to CUBA but it would be interested in hearing how you were treated and what happened in your experience. Jim