Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Going Huntin'

DJR

Hi all

I took this coming Friday off from work (birthday treat for me!:bouncy:) and I am picking any ones expertise on hunting this old home site. Here is the description of the place.

The house is two stories and originally was built in the 1920's (according to the records) and has been added on to substantially over the years (the interior of the house dead center is the '20's portion). The house is on county owned land and I am a county employee!!! YEEE HAWWW. Anyway I have seen the house inside and out and the outbuildings and such. It appears to have been a small farm with an old wooden barn structure (probably dating back to the twenties or later) that is adjacent to a more modern small dairy structure? A small "mother in law" home is adjacent to the other house as well. It has a multi car garage between. The home site lies on 20 acres. There is some fencing and cross fencing around the structures, very large trees, and dog house is still present next to the house. The area around the house is thick with shrubs and weed growth (where the landscaped areas used to be:veryangry:).

I will be using my ACE250 with the stock coil and will be bringing my larger 9X12 (I don't have the 4" yet sorry for me).

Here is my question. If it were any of you guys what would be your strategy at searching this place?

I pretty much have all day and unfortunately it is supposed to rain in the a.m. I also am planning on hitting another site later in the afternoon to try and find an old home site that may date late 1800's early 1900's however this site has been cleared and roads put in for a subdivision right over where I knew a cistern was located! :ranting: However remnant border areas are still evident and at original grade.

This is what I was planning.

1) If raining check interior walls and such of buildings
2) Detect around all entrances of main house.
3) Work covered carport area (looks as if it may have been used as a get together place as well)
4) Work area leading to garage.
5) Work around all large trees.
6) Work dog house area.
7) Work fence line closest to house.
:geek: Work other house entrances.
9) Work older barn first then newer one.
10) Time permits work randomly around field areas between house and barns.

Whew! Tired just thinking of it. Any ideas or better options out there? I am all ears. I know it is a large area and I plan on making return visits but it is to "sample" what might be present.

Don

Looks like you have done your homework..Don't forget front yard and back yard.
If it had a outside privy check the path to it.
The area where the outside cloths line hung is also a good area.
If you can see where the kids played ,sand box swing,and teeter-totter or any kind of play evidential play structure existed.
These are some of them and likely someone will suggest some more..
If you can get the snipper coil that would likely help you and be ready to dig up lots of junk and some disappointment

Obviously concentrate on areas where you think people congregated, children played, or anybody reached into their pockets. That is if you're looking for coins. Around where they got into and out of cars is usually pretty good hunting. Around doors and walkways. Around trees, swings or where kids might dig. Under a clothesline almost always produces keepers. Thats where I always start when hunting a house. Look for caches around or under fenceposts and around the old barn. It's a longshot but could be very profitable.

A lot to watch out for too. Keep in mind that they might have been burying or burning their trash on the site so you might find a dump fairly close to the house. I generally do not have the patience for these areas but I've hunted them before. Found a burned up merc dime once. Remember that in the 1930s and 1940s a dime might have been like 10 or 20 dollars today. Don't expect huge numbers of coins. Be patient.

John in West Va is the king of old house hunters. If he replies take his advice.

Chris

Good Luck.

Thanks guys

Yes I am expecting a lot of trash and such. One of these days (soon I hope) I am getting the Sniper Coil. I need it down here in Florida especially where I hunt the most.

OK Chris I hope I see John's response if he is "the king" of house hunting then his advice will be much welcomed...I have a lot of old houses down here targeted and as soon as I get permission to hunt I'm on them. I have one that I found that is ca. 1915 still in fairly good shape!

I am a newbie so any help will be appreciated.

I sure wished you guys could join me down here and show me the ropes. I will be in the elements tomorrow going to have an arctic front move through...supposed to be only in the 50's...with falling temps all afternoon...I will have to pull out the parka:biggrin:

Sorry guys I just had to say it:surrender:

Don

Under the porch if It's got one. Look for bottles/marbles under there as well. Might be a prize. Also flowerbeds. Farms are the worst for trash though sides and back may be littered with stuff. Should be a fun outing though!

Work the yard good. In those days people spent evenings and other times out in the yard and often entertained there. Hired hands during harvest time were fed outside in the yard. Check for the old outhouse pits and probe them. They are a treasure trove of old items and coins. Many old homes out in the country and farms had their own dump. These can be full of valuable items. Check all paths to and from. Check for any trees that may have had a swing dangling from it. Everybody had a swing back then. Also realize that money was scarce back then so don't expect old coins to be laying everywhere. Coins were valuable back then and people guarded them closely and carried them in a coin purse not in their pants pocket. A quarter back then was two to three hours wages.

Bill

Well all

Here is the findings from the '20's home. I found out from one of the locals who came by and stopped me to ask the "who, what, where, and why", questions that this was an old homestead of a local county Judge.

Not much found as I was expecting even trash was scarce!

I believe the goodies are under the additions of this house. The site is to become a storm pond some day. Oh to be there when they remove the building! I will have to keep close tabs on this place. I will more than likely will return to see if I can find a dump site and other potential hot spots.

Found the following:

pennies: .63 (1 1942 wheatie and 1 Canadian) all in the parking area in clumps and groups

nickles: .65

dimes: 1.10

quarters: 1.00

A Sterling silver bracelet was found by "accident" I was detecting inside the home upper floor around one of the window sills. Kept getting a hit in the silver range as I got to the lower part of the window. 3 times I went over this area and then I saw it...laying right on top of the window sill! DUH!!!! :wacko: Didn't have to dig for it:biggrin:

Also with the coins was found a Balley's Alladin Castle Token brass I believe.

This was a very "clean" site around the house anyway. Almost no trash signals anywhere. The barn areas had lots of iron though and buried concrete slabs were detected in 3 locations strange.

Don

Some good finds..Possible someone been their before.

Joel

I hope not and I really don't think anyone has. There are only a handful of detectorist (that I know of) in my county and most go to the beaches. I still have a lot of area to cover on this site as I only hit and missed various areas do to time. Besides I was finding coins in the parking area and that took most of my time.

Don

n/t