Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GMT QUESTION

just my personal opinion,but i reckon the gmt hammers the tesoro..auto and manual gb with the fast grab,its iron grunt etc the list goes on..im only a casual prospecter(read,the rare occassion i go on holiday near a goldfield) and outside the minelabs,of couse(and well cheaper too),not much out there is better for the casual prospector :) (oh,and if anyone with an xterra 70 tells you any different,tell them to give up the drugs :) coz a machine that operates at 18.5 khz at best, aint gonna find the stuff a machine at 50 khz is... )

The GMT is a dedicated prospecting detector, no discrimination except the iron grunt and the iron probability reading, it is by far one of the best VLF prospecting detectors made. Only the Fisher Gold Bug 2 will find smaller gold, but since Bounty Hunter now owns Fisher, I personally would not touch any of their detectors. The Tesoro LST is a great general purpose detector like the MXT, it will not find the tiny gold flakes that the GMT or Gold Bug 2 would but it will find very small pieces of gold like half the size of a match head. The LST also has full range discrimination and all metal mode which is perfect for coins, relics and prospecting. I would take a serious look at the MXT, the choices of coils and quality of this detector is hard to beat, it has 3 seperate modes coin/jewelry, relic and prospecting and auto ground balancing rivaled only by the GMT. Good luck with your decision.

I am a Tesoro fan, yet much of what I've seen is that a GMT is superior to the LST for nugget hunting.

Ease of operation? Well, Tesoros just kinda do what they are expected to do. From my experience.
rmptr

Dang. You even have ME wanting to go out and get one! BUT I have my MXT so I'll stay with that. Chances
are I'll never use the prospecting mode.:lol: AT 48kHz you know the GMT has GOT to find the gold.
You gave a good rundown on the machines.
RR

.... for gold prospecting the GMT totally outclasses the LST. The GMT handles "bad" ground better, finds smaller nuggets, finds them deeper, has wider operating range, finer ground balancing capabilities, has three modes of ground balancing, and audio and visual iron ID, NOT iron rejection. BUT.... the GMT is not suited for truly multi-purpose use. BUT... the GMT's counterpart, the MXT, totally outclasses the LST in all fields. Hope this helps; HH Jim

also want to say thanks for your advize about the GMT and nugget shooting. it is always good to hear from seasoned hunters to get great advise. thanks again.:cool:

The SAT control on the GMT is the finisher of the LST. In bad ground the GMT because of it will leave the LST behind. A variable sat control should in my opinion be standard on any detector, its been around long enough. The SAT though on the MXT , to me at least, seems a bit supior in operation than that on the GMT. There appears a slightly less loss of signal and a smoother working of it than that found on the GMT. I guess it has to do with the operating freq of both machines. But, on small and reef (hard rock) gold the GMT is the clear winner. Besides, the LST is getting a bit long in the tooth these days and should be just about ready for retirement. (sorry LST lovers).
Down here in OZ, I live in the middle of the Goldfields and have swung for yellow for 17 years now, the LST is hardly ever mentioned. The GMT though is often.
In far north Queensland it is a very popular machine for hard rock/reef hunting and has proven to be pretty good at it. There is another machine which is too but...........have a good one.

BT, here's a GMT hint which wonders in the Californai and Arizona goldfields: crank the GMT's V-SAT control to FULLY CLOCKWISE, then crank the GAIN as high as soil conditions will allow. Test it on small nuggets, and let us know if it helps improve things in Oz. HH Jim

Thanks Jim. I usually take a machine out from the shop I work in but, Whites should be happy with this one, we sold out of GMTs a week ago and will have to wait for another 2 before the next lot arrives. I will give it a go though when they come in. Thanks for the tip.