Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Give me an input on your best detector for strickly relic hunting

ROGERTN

looking for a new machine for strickly relic hunting want to get an idea from you all on what you think before i buy. I have been whites all the way in the past so dont know much about the rest.

I'm also not hearing good things on the durability of the F75. I would suggest the ground hawk (modified fisher 1266-like machines), Tesoro Tejon (just got mine and it goes deep in moderate to good ground (got 11" on a small buckle) or the Whites MXT, which is still my primary relic hunting machine.

n/t

I have a Ground Hawk and like it fine, have found small hatchets and like items at 20 in". or so according to a yardstick, had a Nautilus it was fine, modded it with all the goodies, just never could get used to the machine, it always felt clumsy to me, and seemed to be kinda picky on the settings, but when properly set up was very good, the GH is much simpler and lighter, seems to work as well, and has the 5 yr warranty, that is transferrable, much easier for ME to use, good luck and HH whatever you use or get :twodetecting:

I have used garretts and fishers and the best I have found so far, for me anyway, is the Tesoro Cibola.
It's easy to use turn on and go. And I have dug bullets 12 inches or better with it...d2

I've used alot of brands (XLT, Explorer, Tejon, Nautilus). My go to machine is the Nautilus. Why? Because I am a relic hunter only and I want the deepest detector available. Also I like being able to get dual discrimination. Iron in the right ear and conductive in the left ear. Kinda like the dual mode you are used to with the Whites. I use the II B and it can seem intimidating but once you tune it a time or two it is easy. I have the Whites rod modification on mine and it is very well balanced and not heavy even with the 15" coil attached. Just my 2 cents worth! HH!
Mike

12" really? What kind of ground are you using it in? What State? I have a Cibola and using it in moderate ground I'm lucky to get 6-7". I'm not saying I don't believe you, you must have better ground than I do.

I gotta brand new Ground Hawk for sale, absolutely beautiful!! P.M me for details, willing to let it go way under what i paid for it!

32 years of experience this year having used various models of each through the years: White's, Fisher, Tesoro, Garrett, Compass and a Radio Shack many years ago. Nautilus is the deepest seeking unit out there. No, I'm not worried about whether or not it feels like a featherweight or has the best battery life or comes with the best warranty. I simply want a machine that will perform in some of the harshest conditions. The DMCs do just that.

well roger, i have to side with d2 on this one. the tesoro cibola is a great machine for relic hunting or coin shooting. i pulled an enfield 14" out of the ground last weekend, and a large cent at 12". my diggin shovel is marked off in inches past the spade part, so i know thats right. im not into diggin 2 ft. deep holes; especially for a pulltab. seen it a hundred times, and from machines costing over double. for 340 bucks, and a lifetime guarantee, its hard to beat. and if it beeps, theres something there. no games or confusing screens. turn on and go. its really funny though, as we get older, how easily we start opting for smaller and lighter machines. [something to think about] good luck and hh,

Many are still stuck with 1980s and 1990s technology. Make sure you go with new technology for increased depth and ID capabilities. On the other hand once you learn everything your machine is telling you no matter which brand it is, you will get good results. Experience kills! I have 5 years experience with my Explorer XS and Im telling you it is a relic hunters secret weapon. It is a button magnet for sure. In 2007 I dug 172 civil war buttons most of which came out of so called hunted out Stafford winter camps. Also dug a US box plate, several hundred bullets, 7 pieces of spanish silver and many other relics. Most of these relics were deep and beyond the reach of all the others who dug these sites previously. On the down side, the Explorer is not the ideal machine to use in hot ground but in good ground it is a monster. With the Explorers the original XS and the Explorer II are best. They over tweeked the newer Explorer SE in my opinion. Which ever machine you go with it will take time to figure out.

Marc

I BELIEVE THE LATER IS TRUE STICK WITH THE MACHINE YOU HAVE AND LEARN IT TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY AND IT WILL BE THE BEST RELIC DETECTOR YOU COULD OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SEE YA ROGER

Well I must say that my GTI 2500 Imaging is awesome relic machine...heres why....the Imaging....If I want to dig bullets and buttons all day long and anything bigger I dont dig. The size will show up as A or B size. Anything bigger C, D, E size I dont dig. Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont , but the Image function gives me the option to dig what I want. It is built like a tank. I saw an Explorer user bump his coil on a tree and it broke at the shaft connection, Wont happen with a GTI 2500. All Metal is DEEEEEP. Good Luck,
Alan (Ga)

BKrelics.jpg
In my years of strictly relic hunting, I personally find my deepest relics and those in the heaviest iron trash with Minelab Explorer's or Sovereign's. If I were looking for a very good buy for the money, it's hard to beat Tesoro. A lot will have to do with experience, so practice will improve results. However, there is about to be a new detector on the scene; the Nemesis by Pulse Devil. I should be field testing one soon and if it does as well as previous testing has yielded, relic hunting may have a new door to pass through. Time will tell. Good hunting, David@Dixie

I am very happy with my Explorer ll. The stock coil goes deep, the wot 15" even deeper and the 5" is great in iron infested areas. I can use it in mineralized soil and it works well. I spend lots of time in the woods around cellar holes and iron.