Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gigartina Stellata... and the Skookumchuk.

Micheal_R

Staff member
Now pretty much anyone on the coast of British Columbia has probably heard of the Skookumchuk. Even up here, it is, if not legendary, then certainly renowned and well known for the ferocity of its

get the suit on over those huge Cojones?:rofl:

Going through there at full flood in my 17 ft boat was way scarier and dumber than going through with my Uncle at slack in the camp tender:biggrin:

very interesting story Mike. You have done some great dives.

Well, it was on the 'slack' tide and we were all young and invincible. :):

Funny how I had forgotten all about this dive until I saw a show on the Malahat by the Sea Hunters. Then it came back.

Calm seas

Mikie

But I know that your dives have been more productive in treasure hunting than mine.

Fair winds

Mikie

Those are some fierce looking eddies and current. I'd pass on that one for a dive but the wet suit and no weights sounds like a real rush, in more ways than one Mikie. Those mountains running right down to the water really impress me. Funny, we have a place here called Race Rock also. Its a fast current that runs off of Fishers Island, NY. They get about 1 hour of slack tide to pull their pots. People that have made the mistake of putting the anchor over in slack and and not being able to cut it loose or untie have gone to the bottom. Smart people just run up drift down, grab a bunch of ble fish or stripped bass and then run up the outside of the rip and make another drift. Those first 3 waves on the edge of the rip can put you down also. Here is a little link about it.....
http://home.comcast.net/~debee2/NNNS/RaceRock.html

Tnx again, for great story.....You sure have had some interesting dives.

Geo

n/t

They are home to a very large colony of Stellars sea lions and have immense coral heads of brilliant purples and reds. It is home to B.C.'s second oldest lighthouse... beaten to the punch by only a few days by the lighthouse at Fisgard in Esquimalt. There are a great many shipwrecks out there as well. There is a story of one of the old lighthouse keepers. Apparently, he would swim out [on a slack tide] and dive on a wreck and come up with gold coins. Yes, I searched but had no luck, but the anticipation was everything.

here is a link to our race shipwrecks;

http://www.racerocks.com/racerock/history/shipwrecks/shipwreck.htm

Thank you for reading it George.

Calm seas

Mikie

Wonder how many other divers have seen your little structure,and wonder what it was all about, and who did it! :D

n/t

bit younger. I can see you all being tossed around in the water and having a good time, but I can also think how very dangerous it must be. Now I know why you don't do rum anymore! :lol: Good story and photos Mikie! :)

n/t

n/t

n/t

After reading about how you described the Skookumchuk, I would like to ask a question about something that I saw in a movie...is there such a thing as a whirl pool in the ocean that sorta looks like the top of a tornado that will suck your boat down? That second photo shows just a hint of the possibility of the makings of a whirl pool if it was out in the ocean somewhere...appears to be a few rough spots on the surface of the water in that photo. This was a fascinating story, makes me dream about all the treasures that lay hidden on the bottom of the ocean. Mike, thanks for posting this story, I really enjoyed reading it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

As to my structure { I actually built 3 of them in different bays around Victoria], well, it it coming on 40 years now.. I have not been back for 4 to 6.. But Joe said they were still there. They are alga and concretion encrusted now so they may last for some time yet. They are all in the 30-45 feet range in the Saanich inlet so they are protected from the worst of the weather and tides.

There are many eddies in the Skookumchuk. Nothing very serious when we were there. But I have heard tales of small boats being upset by them in that area and others too.

Hope that you are doing well and have the iron horse set up for some more adventures.

Fair winds

Mikie