Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ghost Stories...............

JB(MS)

For two years, when I was 5 and 6 years old, the Johnson's lived a few hundred yards across a big field from us. Mr. Johnson's name was Lutie, I thought that was an odd name, and he was a small man, not much over 5 feet tall if that much. His wife was at least a foot taller, weighed at least twice what Lutie did, always had her hair pulled back in a ball and always had thick stockings rolled down to her ankles. Looking back, it seems to have been common for small or skinny men in the Pine Grove community to marry big women.

In the winter, and after the crops were laid by in summer, Lutie and his wife would walk across the field a couple of nights a week to talk to my parents. That was before anyone around there had tv's, most didn't have radios and few even had electricity, so visiting and talking was a common occurence. The topics were always the same--how the crops were doing, how many hogs would be killed, weather and other things common to farming--but Mr. Johnson would always get around to telling ghost stories before they left. Ghosts, goblins and other assorted monsters--commonly called boogers by country folks around here back then--were very real to 6 year olds and one story he told several times always scared the bajeebus out of me. Here's the story, in short form and without the embellishments Mr. Johnson always added.

In Tishomingo county, near where Mr. Johnson grew up, there was a cemetery with a huge oak tree near the fence that had several big limbs that had grown out over the road. In the early 1880's a drifter robbed a local man and in the process shot and killed him. A posse was formed, the robber was hunted down, caught and was hung on the tree at the cemetery on one of the limbs that grew over the road. He was captured late in the day and just as it was getting dusky dark he was hung. He was put on a horse, a rope was thrown over the limb and put around his neck and one of the posse members struck the horse with a stick. The horse ran out from under the guy but his foot hung, either in a stirrup or on the saddle, and his head was pulled off. The drifter and his head were burried but that wasn't the end of it.

Two weeks after the hanging one of the locals was riding by the cemetery right at dusk and a man with no head dropped down from the tree onto his horse behind him. The horse bolted, threw the local off and disappeared into the growing darkness with the headless man still on it. A few days later the headless man dropped down from the tree into a buggy with a man and his wife, also right at dusk. After a few more reports of the same thing happening the local folks stopped going by the cemetery from dusk until daylight. The few that did go by, all the way up until about 1920 when the tree was struck by lightening and cut down, reported seeing the headless man.

The other ghost stories he told never bothered me, but that one did. In my mind I could see the headless man chasing me, I was running and every time I looked back he was closer. When I was put in bed and the kerosene lamps blown out the headless man was right there with me. I would scrunch down in the bed, pull the cover over my head and was afraid to go to sleep. In the summer that was hot, but as long as my head was under the covers he couldn't get me. I had several "nightmare" dreams in which the headless man was chasing me and woke my parents yelling and screaming. Eventually I stopped having the dreams and forgot about it but when it was happening it was as real as anything could be, at least it was in the mind of a 6 year old. I hadn't thought about that in years but one of my co-workers told a story about his grandfather at work today that brought it back. Wonder if covering my head up will still keep the "boogers" away?:)

I suspect that with your colorful imagination, you have told a few ghost stories to some young children yourself...including this headless ghost story. With your permission, I would like to tell this ghost story to a few of the young boys around here, probably just before they camp out in the back yard. JB, thank you for posting this story, it was much enjoyed. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Great story JB!

Dave

i slept in a room with my brothers on a trundle bed,at night a street or porch light would cast the shadows of trees in the bedroom window and if the wind was blowing i would see monster images as the tree limbs made different shadows and would hide under the covers.it didn't help that my brother would try to scare me talking about monsters.

I would like sitting around a campfire listening to and telling stories. I've always liked listening to old time stories, even when I was a kid. A good while back I posted some photos of the old benches that were on the porch of the country store just down the road from where I grew up. There was always anywhere from two to several old guys sitting around on them, whittling, trading knives and telling stories. I loved listening to them, and still like hearing stories of days gone by. I wish I could remember, or had written down, the stories they told. Thanks for the good words.

Durn lil Brother, you're gonna make my head swell up :). Thanks, I'll have to brag about your post to my kids and grandkids that hate to listen to me tell a story:D.

I apologize JB!
Oh I remember stories that would make me hide my head at night. Ghost story's or some strange thing that would happen, usually in the dark, that would spook me as I tried to get to sleep.

We had a big old dog, Speck, that would sleep with us and I felt protected but storys, especially the ones where someone or something was chasing me were the worse.

I don't know how much about Ghosts are true but they are certainly real to the ones that believe. Storys about ripped off heads are especially spooky.

People did visit more in the old days didn't they.

When I just now read it, I just had to take these photos and send to you, because that's how I pictured you!

I collect these little figurines by Bill Stross. All of his figurines depict something close to someone. He owns a company titled Prayer's and Promises.

You brought back a lot of memories for me! I, too, remember many a night sleeping with the covers over my head and it was hot, hot summer time. I also would never sleep with my leg or foot hanging off the bed because I was certain something or someone lived under there and would grab my foot!

That's why I bought this,....for me, and my grandchildren. Thought you might like it as well! :)

[attachment 22894 little-boy.jpg]
[attachment 22896 littleboy3.jpg]
[attachment 22897 littleboy2.jpg]

And with this, Bill Stross writes:

"When my wife and I tuck our two boys into bed at night, I hear echoes of myself as a child in their whispers. Please make sure there are no monsters under the bed. Our reply is always the same; "There's nothing to be afraid of, for the Angels are watching over you." The nod off to sleep with a simple smile, comforted in that promise. The innocent fears of a child remind me that there really is nothing to be afraid of in life! He is way bigger than the boogie man!

And that's the name of this piece.....He's Way Bigger Than the Boogie Man! :)

It's a darn good representation of how some of us felt when we were sure the "boogie man" was under the bed:). I've not seen anything like it before, thanks for posting the photos.

I was a boy scout and the scout master used to tell scary ghost stories around the campfire. That brought me to all the "snipe" hunts that we went on till we "caught on"..