Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Gettin the lead out"

Dirtdiver

How's this for a chuck of lead!
Dug this from my neighbors yard yesterday. It is 5 inches across and about an 1 1/2" thick. Weighs in at 9.5 lbs.
This is by far the biggest piece of lead i have ever dug
Looks like it might have been use to seal off a pipe?
You just never know what will come out of the dirt next.

n/t

It may be a lead ingot such as sold to plumbers years ago.

As an old time plumbing repairman I have sen them over the years, but they haven't been used for maybe 50 years.

Lots of fishing weights or bullets there,

CJ

It may be a lead ingot such as sold to plumbers years ago.

As an old time plumbing repairman I have seen them over the years, but they haven't been used for maybe 50 years.

Lots of fishing weights or bullets there,

CJ

WOW, that IS some chunk of lead.----How deep was the thing?----You are right, you just never know what's going to come out of the ground next. :)

Check this piece carefully to see if it is solid, in the photo looks like it may have a crimp around it. Several years ago my boss at that time was repairing an old dug well in his yard.Buried by the well was a thick lead sheet about 5by7 inches . It had been soldered or melted together on 3 sides.He brought it to work and we cut it open. It contained 2 confederate bills of fifty dollars denomination.They had been folded and sealed in lead it was air and water tight.Have often wondered what story those bills could tell. A great place to hide gold would be inside lead. Just something to think about.Good Luck!

That is an amazing story. I've never heard of people encasing money inside lead before.
I looked this piece of lead over pretty good, and as far as i can tell it is solid.
There is a rolled edge on one side but doesn't look like it is two pieces.
I might try cutting into it anyway. If i hit the jackpot i will let you know.

If nothing else, it's worth about $11.21 spot lead price. That's about 3 or 4 normal silver dimes :shrug: