Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

George,you been reading about Juliett 484 ? For you that live in New England

Ron J

its a former Russian Sub in Providence RI. Was used in move K15 Widow Maker,with Harrison Ford. Has interesting history,was on Ebay a few year ago for $1 million. Was towed from Norway? to Florida,to be a restaurant.Never panned out... Anyway she has been a tourist attraction,and sunk at the dock a few months ago. A lot of her waterproof compartments had been torched open,to make way for tourists. This didn't help trying to keep her from sinking. Check it out, search Juliett 484 ,unfortunate,but real good photos,before,and as she sits now.

German U boat sunk off Block Island. Not sure of the story behind that one either. I got to dive on it back in the later 50's with a group. Hit
it at the wrong time that day, water was pretty murky, and the tide had started running pretty hard again to where the line that had going down to it was pretty hard to even hand on to. What sticks in my mind is the big lobster that was up under the bow section. Big fella, perhaps 20 lbs. The coning tower was the best part of it, but again, that day we got down just as the current picked up. There was another one in New London, off Ocean beach. They were towing it when it sunk there. It was there for years, then someone salvaged it. It was only in about 75 feet of water laying on its side, so nice dive. Again, it was in a fast current area, so you needed to time slack tide for high or low. to get 2 hours.

Is the Juliett still on the bottom? I like the old style subs from back then. Our old fleet type with the diesels in look sharp I think. I can still see them coming up the river by our place on Fridays and not wanting to wait for the train bridge to open, blowing balest enough so just the coning tower was showing and runnnig under the bridge on battery power... People that had never seen it used to really go crazy over it. I have to say, I never tired of it either.

Geo

n/t