Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

George, do you know anything about the GARMIN eTREX LEGEND CX handheld GPS?

Kelley (Texas)

This model looks like it might be a good one to carry in the saddlebags. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

in that they are small in size, very clear screen but the screen is a bit small for some. Its the same as the Garmin Legned C minus the micro card for storage. The C means its a Color screen instead of black and white type, and the X means it has a Micro card in it for additional storage for new software of software of a certain area loaded on it. It works like the Floppy disk or hard drive in your computer only its a card. That model has been discontinued according to Garmin... Check this link for discontinued Garmins. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=167
so it if used or new it should be discounted. Good screen, small size, very good battery life on 2 double A batteries. The antenna is a little weak under tree cover, but still a good unit. The buttons on on the sides, some like it that way and some hate it. It also has a click stick on the front to move the mouse courser around. You can load stuff in it like Geocaches or maps via the USB port on it. A lot of software is available for it used on Ebay or other sites. The only complaint I've ever had about mine is there is a rubber piece that wraps around the out side of it that covers the buttons. In real hot weather it tends to stretch a little and in heat you need to be aware of it as it could come loose. Having said that, mine is till on there after 4 years and looks like new. The screen when you bring it up, looks like a little mini desktop on your computer with all the icons to choose from..... Other that the occasional dropped signal I've never hear anyone say anything bad about them. The newer models, the Vista ones are the same case but better chips inside, the use the new Srif chips like in my GPS map 60CSX. A llarger unit, bigger screen, New Srif chips, better reception, far better antenna and a lot more bells and whistles. Bigger chip cards for even more storage of maps etc or even preloaded chips. Its also a lot more money. I am not ashamed to own both of them and do.

If you want the newer one of that size, same case but newer chips and antenna, get the Garmin Etrex Vista HCX model....Its more money but betterelectronics in it. Check that out here... https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8703

The next step up in Hand helds would be like Royal and I have, the GPSmap 60CSX. These little units do a lot and it takes awhile to learn them well. The software for the streets is a little expensive, on order of $100 bucks new. The basemap on it has the main roads, but not the little secondary ones. You need to purchase Streets and roads for that..... But it will still show you where you are within a few feet, just the road itself may not be on the map.

Hope this helps and not make it worst, its easier to show and tell then to explain.....

Just got in on the bike, 11:20 PM from the club....busy night tonight. Nice ride home, moon out bright...about 58 degrees....sweet ride home............ Geo

I have finally realized that I should get a handheld GPS, one that uses 2 batteries. I have thought about the GPSmap 60CSX, but it may be more horsepower than I need. Again, thank you! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

they can be had for around $275 bucks. Down from the $469 list. They have since come out with the Colorado. It has a few bugs so I would pass on that one at this time. I tend to not buy version 1 of anything. The 60CSX will do it all and then some and takes double A batteries. You can get detailed street maps above the bse map which are super. Just a little pricey and learning curve on it is more just for the fact it does more. I use it for travel and Geocaching, tracking myself and then putting on Topo maps and love it. Best unit I have used so far. Check Ebay for some prices there also..... I like the intutive buttons on the front of it. I got mind from a guy who hated. he was not and electronics geek and just wanted road maps. He then sold his to me and bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 unit.

Geo