Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

George and any other Geocashers

Royal

I use a program called GSAK for geocashing. It is a program that keeps everything organized and loads the Cashes on my GPS. It works great and does far more than I need at this time.

I was looking it over last night. I discovered if I had a Garmin NUVI GPS for my truck there is a way I can use it for geocashing. http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

I loaded the NUVI up with the cashes and headed back up here this morning from Waterford. I thought it would be a great time to try it out. I was not going to hunt the cashes but I set it up to signal me when I was withing 3000 ft of a cashe on my trip north along I-75.

It worked like a charm. I have 500 cashes loaded in it and it signaled about a dozen along the route. It would signal me, ask if I wanted to go to it. When I said I did it gave me directions on the screen right to it. Well I think it did. :D I have not followed them to the cashe yet.

I have to chase one down to the cashe to figure out how close it will get me and will do it in the next few days.

As I drive I can just click on one screen and it will show a list of the cashes with an arrow telling which direction the cashe is and how far.

It also lists ALL the information on the cashe, what kind, what size, any hints and a list and remarks of those that have already found it.

It will be great on vacation. I am sure glad I bought a NUVI last year

I ended up using EasyGPS for a lot of what I do on the handheld GPS. I have a Nuvi 350 in the car and I have taken it on the bike a few times. I'll download that it take a look at it again. Sounds like a slick way to get to them. Down south I was always getting messed on on streets I didn't know or even not sure which way was north. This would cure that problem. I'll load some up and see how they work out. Nice to know your close to one thats handy. Thanks for tip.

George-CT

with just the Nuvi GPS? I went to load mine but it was the trial version and it showed I had it install on the system here for 478 days.
I'll see what I can do later tonight when I come back indoors. Looks like a great combination to have out on the roads. My wife and daughter are at a horse show today so they have the Nuvi 350 with them.

George-CT

see how it pinpoints but it sounds good. It looks a little tricky to pinpoint at first but I doubt it is hard. Maybe I will try it tomorrow.

Today is just a beautiful day. I found the four and if I had gotten out earlier could have surly found more.

I like the feature with the Garmin that just lets me tell it to take me to the next one. I have found all but the first one today using that feature.

I wish you lived closer. We could have fun with the things. The problem is I am finding all the close ones but now I am going farther afield. I have mounted my GPS to the scooter and that makes it more fun on the nice days.

I noticed that I have not seen any humming birds in two days now. Then must be headed south. I will miss them.

just mounted on my dash. It was outside a cemetery near my home and I had already found it. I got out with the Nuvi in my hand and then saw an old gentleman walking his dog and watching me. I just got back in my truck and left to try another day.

I think I would use it in conjunction with my handheld. It is just easier but I want to figure it out in case I don't have the hand held along with me.

I was coming north on I-75 and switched it on and switched it to POI and it displays 5 nearest cashes at a time. It gives its name, an arrow shows what direction it is to my line of travel and it tells me how far. If I pick one it goes to a screen giving me all the information, name, numbers, who hid it, all the information that is displayed on the web page including finders comments. Everything. It is true paperless casheing!!

You punch in GO and it brings the map up and gives you turn by turn directions to the cashe area. Of course it sticks to the road. You can then go to Off Road and use it like the hand held. It is amazing. It is much easier to use for paperless casheing than my Palm was!!

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=204089