Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Generations.....

Dan-MO

My grandfathers on both sides of my family came from dirt poor farm families, had almost no education-could barely read and write little more than their signature. Despite their lack of formal education both were bright articulate intelligent men who believed that living in this country was a wonderful blessing and that a man who was willing to work hard enough could accomplish whatever he desired. Both served their country in WW1 and lived through the great depression of 1929. Both always worked-hard work to be sure-but honest work. Both worked until they were old-never asking-or expecting-any kind of handout or charity. Both would have been insulted and would have flatly refused had any such offer been made.

Both wanted their children to have a better life than they had-not that they ever complained about their own lot but their dream was for their children to have a easier time and more opportunities than they themselves had. Although neither had much schooling both were great teachers and instilled in their children the values they cherished-work hard, be honest, and love God, country and family.

My father and mother were the first in my family to finish high school. And it must have been a proud day for my grandparents when they received those diplomas. They worked hard to give my brothers and I every advantage they could-always putting our needs above theirs-while teaching us the values taught to them by my grandparents. They also dreamed of a better life for us the with even more opportunities than they had-which was many more than my grandparents had. Each generation left a better chance for the next-if they were willing to work for it.

I (being the oldest of 3 boys) was the first of my family to receive a college education. I will never forget the look of pride on my parent

the peace of mind knowing it'll all help them to have a good and prosperous life. I have always believed that we are products of our environment. And your family is a testament to that. There are always exceptions, of course. But once we become adults, the full weight of responsibility falls upon the individual. Make things better, or stay in a rut. The choice is ours. I realize this can sound harsh to some but when you really think about it, who holds the power over anyones destiny but the individuals themselves ! "Luck" can sometimes be described as hard work.

I think you (because of your ancestoral knowlege) can thank your parents and grandparents and be right in doing so. My opinion is that those to girls did what they did and accomplished what they did through thier on intestinal fortitude, no one elses. They could just have easily quit (like so very many do) because it was too hard and broken the chain right there. Either way, congradulations to all of you, past and present.

Folks like your Grandparents, then your parents, then you, have instilled honorable values to their children...passed them down through the years. My kin folks were similar to yours, we were taught the meaning of respect and honor. While we were poor, we were only poor in the financial sense...we were rich with love and knew how to enjoy life. Dan, thanks for posting this, it made me stop and reflect back to my youth and where I came from. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

too many young people today feel the world owes them a living instead of working for it! Your's is a family to be proud of!

Dave

very fine young ladies! As most of us on this forum, by the stories that are written here, we all grew up with similar backgrounds! I remember attending my daughter's college graduation, being one of the proudest moment of my life! I, too agree that one is a product of their enviornment, but however good or bad it was, has the ability to help chose their own destiny. Where there is a will, there is a way if you seek it. But first, one must have that groundwork laid for them by their ancestor's before them. If they do not, the struggle to arise above and beyond. The necessities in life's learning, lerning respect,honessty and love of God, family and country is the foundation our grandparents and parents laid for us, then even when we, as parents struggle, do without perhaps while OUR children continue forward can only be a win/win situation!

Isn't it wonderful to watch our children succeed and think.....we had to have done something right!

Thanks for sharing your moments....Sounds like your loving family had that very solid foundation passed on with each new generation that came along! :)

proud and thankful for being a part of the greatest success story on this earth! Congrats and thank you for the reminder!:thumbup:

I didn't figure I had anything coming just because I existed.

Until now that is :D I am retired and GM owes me!!

your butt off all your life, and you deserve every bit (and probably more) of the life we are all so envious of! Plus you have taken good care of yourself ,are in great shape, and prepared yourself for retirement! Hope I am as lucky! Happy Father's Day, your Highness! :)

Had a pretty difficult time, by todays standards. I know my father was beaming when I got my degrees from University. He finished high school, barely] and wanted me to get further schooling.

Thank you

Clear water

M

It all goes back to "you usually get out of something what you put into it.

Your ancestors were both smart and blessed to have the legacy they have. It's hard growing up in today's world. There seems to be much more temptation out there for young people. The only defense that I know of that is effective, is a good set of family values.

Your piece pretty well tells it like it is.

Thanks for penning this for the forum. I really enjoyed it. <><

aj