Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II

John in Toronto

Hi.
I've been thinking of adding a PI detector to my collection. I Live in Toronto so I will mainly be using it in fresh water lakes. I do take at least 1 trip per year to Virginia Beach VA. I just love that beach. Hurry up July 4th...lol.
Anyways, could anyone shed some light on how this machine works in fresh water.
Also feel free to advise if there are better PI machines to consider.
I own an Excalibur, X-Terra 70 and a faithfully CZ-20.

The unit will perform fine in fresh water, you may not though. :)

PI's have no discrimination, so your going to get a signal on all metal under the coil. In a salt water area, the salt erodes away junk in due time, in fresh water it could have been there for hundreds of years.

When I lived in Orlando I had a Garrett Mark II. I enjoyed it very much. You have to dig all signals because it has no discrimination. I had a hunting buddy who had an Minelab Excal and we did some test on a Nickle and seemed about the same on depth, maybe a tad better on the mark II but barely. He had a 10" coil and me the 8". So now with the 10x14 availiable for the Mark II it would go deeper Im sure. Sold it when I moved away from the beach, to my regret.

Alan (Ga)

Hello John, I have used the Mark II in fresh water and it works great, but like Mr.Bill said, it is going to detect every piece of iron under the coil. Don't count on the fact that the unit has Discrete Trash Elimination and expecting it to cut nails, like the Excal or CZ does. If you have an Excal and a CZ, then you have all the detectors you need, unless you are hunting salt water only. I live around the Texas Coast and primarily hunt salt water. I use the Excal 1000 & 800 and a CZ21-10. There you go!
'

Thanks for the advice.
Maybe I will just use the detectors I have for this season.

I am watching and waiting to see if White's comes out with a new discriminating PI or not.