Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GARRETT GTI 2500

XE1UFO

Dear Friends:

I am getting back into the hobby after a 20-year absence. My first detector was a Mickey Mouse no-name mail order unit. Then I splurged and got me a Garrett Treasure Hunter TR. Still have it. Found a lot of coins with it, probably enough to pay for batteries.

Does anybody have hands-on experience with the Garrett GTI 2500? I am interested in ghost tows, general coin hunting and maybe some caches. Many places I have already selected for future searches have a ton of trash. How good is the screen on these new detectors? Sounds awesome. Does it really work well?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Steve, central old Mexico

XE1UFO, I've been using a 2500 for about 8 years and it has brought me a lot of great finds. It is an excellent detector, but like all detectors you need to get used to it. The one big advantage the 2500 has over a lot of other detectors is that you can run it well on the factory defaults. Turn it on, set it to coins or relics and start hunting in those settings. I would recommend using the defaults initially, but once you feel comfortable, try it in all metal mode and get used to that. The advantage in all metal mode is depth, you can get more of it. The disadvantage is you have a lot more signals to sort out. In my experience the screen on the 2500 has its limitations. When I get a signal the size of the target is usually pretty well reflected on the screen and the depth is either what the screen says or an inch or two shallower. The screen is less reliable in determining what the target is. You need to use it and use it and get familiar with the different sounds in your headphones. THAT is where you will figure out what the targets are. I suggest you dig most if not all of your targets. You are going to dig up a lot of trash. But try to get a sense of what you are hearing, good targets are usually crisp signals. Iron, pull tabs, bottle tops, are all fuzzier signals and once you get used to hearing them you can better decide what not to dig. Nothing substitutes for experience with the detector.

Good luck, the 2500 is an outstanding detector. I would not trade mine for anything. Mark, Northern VA

Im still learning this machine myself The imaging is nice once you learn its curves. It took me a little while to get used to some of the Garrett features. Beleive me the first couple days I owned it I was really worried. Now Ive owned it about 4 1/2 weeks I dont think I could live without the imaging feature. The coin belltone is also pretty sweet.

There are a lot of posts about the GTI 2500. Use the search feature on this forum and get reading. I have owned one for about 6 or 7 months and I also own 2 other detectors. I always use my 2500. Always. Imaging is the primary reason but there are a lot of other great features on this machine. True all metal mode is very very deep and even gives a probable target ID. Discriminate mode is good and target ID is excellent. Depth is satisfactory. I think it is only about 25 percent deeper than my old Ace 250 which is only about and extra inch or so. That is my experience only. I have detected horizontal silver coins at 8-10 inches in discriminate mode. I didn't find too many silver coins with my Ace 250 so I can't really speak to that. I was luckier with gold rings with the Ace 250 but I have found a few gold rings with the 2500 too.

Here is a great link:

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/metaldetecting.html#menu

If you have specific questions please ask and maybe I can help or one of the real experts (there are 4 or 5 around) will respond.

Chris

Hey: Thanks for the replies! I see several of you have more than one Garrett. I will only be able afford one, but I want to make it a good one that will be all-around useful.Our area was settled by the Spaniards in 1531 (the year mother-in-laws were born!) so no telling what I might find. There are a significant number of hacienda ruins in the area, and many abandoned mines as well.

Steve, central old Mexico

You can't go wrong with the 2500 as it is an exceptional machine. I field tested it for Garrett years back and its predecessor the GTI 2000. There's very little you can't find with one, especially in all metal which goes very deep. With the new mineral chip Garret has installed you can hunt in highly mineralized ground for nuggets or whatever.

It does have a bit of a learning curve and Garretts are not like other detectors so one needs to familiarize themselves with this machine.The imaging spoils most users and it's difficult to give up. All in all I would think you would be quite happy with a 2500 as it will find whatever you are looking for and you can attach the Treasure Hound for those really big treasures.

Bill

Uhhh... Do to my present situation, I splurged on an Ace 250 for now. Leaving the 2500 for the future. Thanks to all for the tips!