Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett American AM-2 question

Wile.E

pulled this detector out of closet this morning,bought about a year ago because it looked like new,knew it was old model,really light compact little detector.Besides that it has 15khz groundhog coil.My question is does anybody know the Khz of this machine? is that the right coil for it? ect, Cannot seem to find out much about on-line.Seems like half the weight of my old groundhog.Any info, would really be appreciated!

Yep, 15kHz is correct. It's basically the 'groundhog' circuit in a light weight version. Nice little machine. Sven has a site with many of the Garrett catalogs on it. Have a look here:
http://www.treasurelinx.com/garrett.html
The 1985 catalog with the AM-2 in it is the third row down and the second in from the left.

I still have a 1982 ADS Groundhog. Now with 4 coils from the 3 1/2 up to the 10 1/2, including the co-axial 8". Love those Groundhogs!
HH,
Roger in VA

Thanks occupant!will have to get out and try it once it gets below 95 or so here.my wants seem to exceed my do s in this older body these days. Sure do appreciate the info.Thank you sir I also have been using groundhog for quite awile.sent in while back ,manual-auto switch bad going to replace with on-on toggle from radio shack.hope works,

You are very welcome! I'm sitting inside with the AC going, waiting for it to cool off so I can get out this evening with the Groundhog. I don't handle the heat as well as when I was younger.

The RS toggle should work just fine. If it's mounted in the circuit board like the Groundhog, it is a little tricky to get to, but the board is easy enough to remove and make switch replacement easier.
Happy Hunting!
Roger in VA

help with American M2 detector: Does not detect any kind of metal. All the electronics seem to be fine, no solder breaks or wires loose, I'm thinking a bad coil or coil wires. Unit is sealed so not sure if I should cut it open and check the coil wires or try to get another coil. Any suggestions??
Thanks
ctdigger01

CTDIGGER01 said:
help with American M2 detector: Does not detect any kind of metal. All the electronics seem to be fine, no solder breaks or wires loose, I'm thinking a bad coil or coil wires. Unit is sealed so not sure if I should cut it open and check the coil wires or try to get another coil. Any suggestions??
Thanks
ctdigger01

I'm thinking a bad switch or capacitor.

On detectors older than...say 25 years, or so...the electrolytic capacitors have dried out, and no longer work properly.
The very first thing I do with a vintage unit is to check and replace the bad caps.

The on/off switches also like to get 'gummed-up' and not work if they've sit for years. (especially potentiometer switches) Sometimes they can be cleaned with contact cleaner and/or pure(ish) alcohol.

Not sure what you meant by "Unit is sealed."
If you're talking about the COIL being sealed...and cutting it open...I'd highly recommend against it.
You could certainly try another coil to eliminate that possibility, but I'd first double check the basics: batteries, switch, tuning/operating procedure. Get and follow the manual.
(It's certainly not a turn-on-and-go detector.)

Good luck,
mike

Thanks for the Info. I do not have a manual for this machine, where can I download a copy?
I turn on the machine and am able to push the tune button and turn the tune button and I get noise out, the toggle for battery works, the 3 way toggle seems to work also I get action on the meter. so I'm thinking you may be right about the capacitors being dry, Probably starting there and changing them all. Let you know what I find after that.
Thanks
CTDIGGER01