Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gamma users...What's your typical settings that you use?

Woodrow

Was wondering what's the best settings config for a Gamma?...I have coming hopefully on wednesday and was just curious, after the ground balance, how you set up everything else as far as Disc, etc. Just looking for a good setup that works for most hunting, especially coins.
Thanks a bunch

I haven't rcvd mine yet,but if its like the omega, im sure i will be running 4 tones discrim at about 16
sensitivity as high as possible, as long as it is stable.
These are the settings when trash isn't to overwhelming

always open for opinions though

probably switch to the 5 inch coil or possibly the 11inch dd

a setting of about '92-'96 on the Sensitivity, '1' for Discrimination, and '2' Tone audio Tone ID most of the time. If I am just "pleasure hunting" a playground or similar site for modern change, then I like the 4-Tone ID option.

Most of the time I can get by with the stock 8" coil, but I like the 5" DD for hunting in any trashy or dense-brush site.

Take your time to learn it, and also don;t sweep too quickly. This is especially true if you are hunting a more mineralized environment. Just pick the settings, Ground Grab, and hunt away.

Monte

Thanks for the tips...I should be getting it on wednesday, so I'll have to give the settings a try.
Much appreciated :thumbup:

Hey Monte, went out today and used 2 tones listening for the ferrous non ferrous targets. ( 2 tones on the omega )
I think i like it !

If i understand the manual properly, all ferrous target will sound off with a low grunt no matter how deep and the non-ferrous targets will sound off with a higher tone that is proportionate to the distance from the coil / meaning the closer to the coil the louder the audio response will be

so listen for those faint non-ferrous target responses

Plan on headed out this weekend to give it another shot in a place that has little or no modern trash. but I'm sure lots of non-ferrous and ferrous targets
Hopefully all the non ferrous targets will be Morgan dollars

One adjustment to leave at the maximum of '10' is the Volume. Don't reduce it or you'll start to lose responsiveness to higher-conductive targets. I think it was an error to incorporate that feature on the Gamma and Delta. Just make sure it is set at max, then use the other adjustments as desired and hunt-away.

Monte

tone choice on the T2, Omega and Gamma.

all iron said:
Hey Monte, went out today and used 2 tones listening for the ferrous non ferrous targets. ( 2 tones on the omega )
I think i like it ![/b]
If I am working a site and have rejected iron with a Disc. setting of '40' or higher (and that seldom ever happens), then a '1' Tone ID choice is okay. On occasions, even when hunting at '1' Discrimination (the minimum setting number) where I hear almost all ferrous and non-ferrous targets, I will make a change to '1' Tone ID and hunt for a while. Then, I go back to '2' Tone ID and hear the usual audio separations between Iron and non-iron targets.

all iron said:
If i understand the manual properly, all ferrous target will sound off with a low grunt no matter how deep and the non-ferrous targets will sound off with a higher tone that is proportionate to the distance from the coil / meaning the closer to the coil the louder the audio response will be

so listen for those faint non-ferrous target responses[/b]
That is usually going to be correct, but due to some differences in the size and shape of the target as well as the metal alloy make-up, a non-ferrous target might read a little low and give the bass-like ferrous audio, or a ferrous target might respond with a higher-pitch, non-ferrous audio response.

As for the proportional signal strength, commonly known as modulated audio in the industry, that is my preference for selecting the '1' or '2' Tone ID options. I do like the '4' Tone ID in modern-day coil loss sites, such as Tot-Lots and similar places, but for most serious detecting, I pick '2' Tone ID and listen to the more info-relaying audio. Remember, I usually use the Omega with a Discriminate setting of '1'.

all iron said:
Plan on headed out this weekend to give it another shot in a place that has little or no modern trash. but I'm sure lots of non-ferrous and ferrous targets
Hopefully all the non ferrous targets will be Morgan dollars. [/b]
After I got my Omega in march of 2010, one of my favorite first-month finds was a Peace Dollar. I prefer Morgans, but I wasn't going to put it back and grumble!

Good luck in your end-of-year searches.

Monte

Monte,
Which seyying gives you the deepest, most stable mode while still being able to come close to knowing what the target is?...I know this takes practice, but was just curious.

Also, I watched a video where a guy was testing a nail and a coin and got Overload on his machine. Could you please explain what causes this and what's the best way to approach it?...I was thinking just dig and look for 2 targets that are close proximity, but I don't really understand why they'd put an overload feature in there.

Thanks again for all the info...very much appreciated :cheers:

Sorry, I meant which setting......Also, using the 11" dd coil while pinpointing, is the center of pp where the shaft connects to the coil?
That's about as close as I can figure where I think it is, but I may totally wrong.

The 'pinpointing' dot is both on the top & bottom of 11" DD coil. Its the exact center of the coil's field. Use a piece of brightly colored tape to mark it. Don't recommend paint as it may void warranty if coil should ever need warranty replacement. I too am blind as a bat:)