Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gain: Suggested Settings

Kenfen

Are you all using the MXT with the Gain as high as you can go all the time?

Why would I want to back down the Gain?

TIA,

Kenfen

The MXT is a very high gain machine. More power for good items also means more tendency to hit small trash and even hot rocks. This is one reason the MXT has a reputation for being noisy. This can often be alleviated by just backing down the gain. People hate to do that, as they think this means less depth.Think of the gain control like it is the gas pedal on a car. Do you always drive with pedal to the floor? I would hope not. That would result in ustable operation and probably a wreck. Smooth,stable operation should always be the goal. The MXT is a powerful detector with lots of potential. Learn it and it will become your best friend. I hope this helps and remimber that it is just my opinion and I am certainly no expert. I love the MXT and is the best multipurpose detector I have ever used. Good luck and wish you the best of luck.

I never run my gain as far as i can and feel this is why many feel the MXT is a noise detector. I run where the threshold is stable and when i get a weak or iffy one I will crank it up to check the signal, then turn it back down to a stable threshold so I can tell a signal from a chatter from gain too high.

Rick

So, where do you find you're setting the gain at? I know each persons area may require a different approach, and we'll all have our own methods, but I'd find it useful to know what your starting points are.

The MXT is great for fast setting changes and I can see doing the same thing, turning it up when you need to.

Regards,

Kenfen

There's a lot of truth to this. However, it boils down to what your soil conditions are like and how much trash is in the ground (where you're hunting). For instance, if I go to the local park or school where there is quite a bit of trash and/or bad soil, I will run my gain at about 9 (pretty much the default). However, this weekend I went out to the country and hunted a site with little trash and great soil. I had my gain at 12 and it was not chatty at all. I was picking up .22 bullet heads at 9" with my 8" coil. Another thing that will make you determine your gain setting is the size of your coil. My 14" coil has to be run at a lower gain. It's just too sensitive to the soil where I am.

We should also not forget that the control has multiple functions and that the transmit power is fixed by design, you can only change the receiver sensitivity and audio volume.

When you get into the + range, you are increasing the audio gain (boost) and you lose audio modulation. That is, the ability to have a deep target whisper to you over the earphones.

It is better to run with a stable threshold and then increase the sensitivity to get a better
ID, once you've found an interesting target.

When I use my 4x6 DD, I find I can turn the gain all the way up (trying to compensate somewhat for the depth loss) without it being noisy. However, the same gain setting would be torture when using my 9.5 coil.

Royce in OR