Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fresh water lake with AT Pro - Harder that it looks! :stars:

Gopher John

:stars: I went to a county park to try my hand at water detecting. I wore full bib waders and had purchased a large scoop. I tied a piece of close line to the scoop and the ATP to keep from diving for them. Hey,! The ATP floats, who knew? That is, the control box keeps the handle up well at the 38 inch level. No way for the coil to float, but it stays beside me where I can pick it back up easily. I found several good targets and did my best to pinpoint them. I kept my coil on the bottom, marking the spot, while putting the lip of my scoop to the heel of the coil. I tilted the handle of the scoop forward and then moved my coil out of the way. Trying to balance on one foot, I tried to push the scoop down into the bottom soil to load the target into my scoop. I would bring the whole mess of bottom stuff up and gently shake it into the bottom of the scoop to catch my prize. I did this procedure several times and did not retrieve any thing at all, not even a piece of junk. I would examine the scoop very carefully then re-detect the spot, as closely as I could, to find often that the target had disappeared all together. This balancing on one foot while pressing the scoop forward,is no doubt a skill I do not have. I have about 5 hours invested so far in this water detecting stuff. Thankfully I did not loose my balance and fill my waders. I was also glad there was no audience watching the old man playing the part of a clown in the water. Thanks for reading the exploits of Old Gopher John. :stars:

it takes a bit of practice to scoop up your targets from the water, but it sounds like your doing it correctly,just dont give up...itll pay off...
good luck,keep us posted
hh
john

is real good at it!!!!

As soon as you dig your scoop in move it off to the side and check the hole again with your detector. If it beeps scoop again. if it doesn't target is most likely in your scoop.

Don't know what scoop you have but small targets particuliarly small split shot will fall thru the holes of your scoop only to appear to your detector once again on the bottom.

If you're getting signals and then finding nothing and the signals won't repeat try turning your sensitivity down some.

Just some suggestion, and like John said don't give up it will become almost second nature and much easier!

Steve :)

I've noticed that with the AT Pro and will almost all detectors if you scoop and lose the signal and it isn't in the scoop, it's still in the hole. Often times the target will fall out of range of the detector or the signal will often be lost due to matrix disturbance. Opening up that hole disturbs the soil matrix and the signal strength will often weaken or dissapear. Lake hunting in waders is tough but worth it... so much to pay attention too, keeping balance, keeping water out of waders, holding onto detector and scoop all while trying to retrieve a target can be a bear at times. Keep at it, practice makes perfect.

If it's a pull tab or piece of foil, it's tuff to get(floats away). Pinpiont with your detector then take your big toe and plasce it in the center of the coil. Let your detecor go (it will float next to you). Take your scoop and slide it down the inside of your target leg and put the end of the scoop about where your in step is and then just scoop straight ahead of you. Thats how I do it. It take practice,but you'll get it. Like I said foil and pull tabs are tuff to dig. They float real easy. I've send lots a of time digging them. Gold will stay still(heavey) and open your eyes when you look in the scoop and see GOLD!!!Good Luck

fir469.........you hit the nail right on the head.....its the most common thing that happens to me

I've noticed that with the AT Pro and will almost all detectors if you scoop and lose the signal and it isn't in the scoop, it's still in the hole. Often times the target will fall out of range of the detector or the signal will often be lost due to matrix disturbance. Opening up that hole disturbs the soil matrix and the signal strength will often weaken or dissapear. Lake hunting in waders is tough but worth it... so much to pay attention too, keeping balance, keeping water out of waders, holding onto detector and scoop all while trying to retrieve a target can be a bear at times. Keep at it, practice makes perfect.

ir469.........you hit the nail right on the head.....its the most common thing that happens to me

That floating foil is a pain:rage:

You will get the hang of it. Sometimes foil and tabs like to swim out and away from your scoop. You can see this in real clear water. Also it can be lead sinkers (even jewelry) falling through the scoop. On suspected small targets. I'll scoop and hold the scoop away from the hole real steady while re sweeping the hole to see if I got it. If I think the small target's in the scoop I slowly make my way to the shore and dump the scoop in the dry to try and find the target.

[size=large]I THANK YOU![/size] Many thanks for your advice and encouragement John M, Steve, Fir, Joe Joel, K-House and John E.
I enjoy reading the threads on this informative forum and it is blessed with many fine folks who willingly share their knowledge and opinions.
Again Many Many Thanks.

Old Gopher John

khouse said:
Just wait until your neck deep and a big boat goes by!!!!

Maybe I had better invest in a life jacket! LOL ;)

I added a foot pad to the back of my scoop so it makes it easy to lean the handle forward & push the scoop in the bottom. Use your toe to hold your pinpoint spot, then place the front of the scoop behind that spot a bit & shove it in the bottom with your foot I wired a small strong magnet in the scoop to trap nails, washers, nuts, hairpins, etc.of course it won't catch tabs, lead & foil. It does cut down on things falling through the holes & you don't have to keep scooping the same signals. I wear my diving BC it is good if I have to go down for what ever reason. Hope this helps.

All said is true. But what about the younguns "hey mister! What are you doing? Can we see?" Use your own judgement, but I find when you let the tykes see, you have a crowd of pirahnas just waiting for blood! I've had 'em follow me into neck deep water and still try to grab everything I scoop! And the there is the guy with the kid on his shoulders that amazingly is always aimed at the funny old guy with the headphones. Your'e gonna get wet and splashed. And don't forget the smart butt kid that thinks it is great sport to chunk rocks at the headphone guy. I have actually saved a few rocks from the bottom and returned fire on them. Are they surprised. Hey it's great sport, just understand there are obstacles to overcome. And a little more advice, never show your good finds to anyone you don't know. Quickest way to get into an argument is having someone say "hey that's my ring, I just lost it" Happy hunting, and don't give up. The fun is just starting!

It's hard to believe just how long a kid can tread water only to dive down to your scoop once you start scooping. You can't get deep enough for the hard core kids. That's when it's time to leave. I hunt fresh water beaches and I can't just walk down a quarter mile to get away from those sharks. You can get some away by "hey there's a big snake right there"

I just started water hunting this year and I gotta say its the most fun I've had detecting. And what a workout! Pulling up a six inch scoop out of the suction is waaay more work than I thought. But I can't beat the combo of beach, exercise, and detecting! Not being bothered by the lawn police is a big plus too.

Once I pinpoint I hold the coil to the bottom and touch the back edge of it with scoop before moving coil out of the way. Pushing in the scoop there usually gets under the target on one or two tries.

Ain't nothin like seeing gold in the scoop when you were expecting a pull tab!

The AT is a great machine.