Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

frequency

Idig3,

The general concensus is that for all around use 10-12 Khz is best. That range according to the engineers gives good response to a wide range of conductive targets. A dedicated coin hunter would probably go for either a multi frequency machine or a single freq in the range of 5-7 Khz. Jewelry hunters tend to prefer the range of 14-19 Khz for sensitivity to the small thin gold chains. The newer multi purpose machines from Whites, Teknetics, Fisher and Tesoro all seem to favor the 13-14 Khz range.

According to Jack Gifford (Tesoro) while frequency is a big factor there are other design considerations that can effect a detectors sensitvity to a given range of targets.

Hope this helps

Tom

yes thanks tom. would it be better to stay with higher frequency being
it would pick up jewelry plus the coins as well. why get the lower?

I am not sure I would judge a detector by frequency a lone. Like Jackpine stated, there is more to it then that. Coil type and ground conditions to mention a couple. You ask why get the lower frequency? In theory, lower frequency goes deeper and is more sensitive to copper and silver,relic hunting... while higher is more sensitive to gold and small items in general. Not that you can't find jewelry with a low frequency detector, you just may not find the small earrings and such. But again, that depends on the detector and the sensitivity, the over all performance of the detector and of coarse...most importantly, the user and how well he knows his machine. A 7-10 khz will find most rings out there. Multi frequencies are a good choice. Good luck with your choices and as always, ask in any of the forum and most will give you a honest answer as to help with your type of hunting and the machine as well. Good luck!

I use the lower frequency "coin" machines the most. The T2 is the first of the mid-hi freq detectors I have used that gave the performance I look for as a coin hunter.
Regardless of what detectors I have used (high or low freq) I have not found many gold chains. You do see them posted on on occasion but they do not turn up often enough for me to justify having something with that kind of sensitivity. A good coin machine will find small targets if used properly.. small enough to satisfy my needs. The Edge and C$ are both sensitive to small low conductors and have no problem picking up the small womens rings. Throw on the new 5.75" coils and the Edge/C$ would satisfy almost anyone for picking up tiny targets.

Tom

Traditionally a higher frequency is good for gold and a lower good for
coins...(silver, copper which are on the high end of a meter)...As a CZ has both(two frequencies)low and high have found it to be a killer on nickles low end(gold jewelry area) and gets deep silver( high end) also...