Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frequency Question For Relic Hunting

Brokensignal

I have noticed that on relic hunting detectors a higher frequency is preferred.I do have a tejon and it does seem to have more of a appetite for relics.Can someone explain this.Is a higher frequency better suited for finding relics?The higher frequency is also preferred for gold also right?.Is it like matching the conductivity of the metal and frequency to get the best performance?.Thanks in advance for any help with this question.

Well i have looked into this a bit , the lower khz penitrate the ground better especialy the more mineralized ground and are more resposive to high conductor targets like silver copper . the higher khz are better at getting smaller targets and gold but in minearalized ground can lose depth in good ground you may see no difrence between a 17khz and a 5khz machine but if the ground was mineralized you would see the diffrence i noteced that my 12khz compadre was way more resposive to gold aloys than my 5khz machine and the golden umax really barked loud on gold and my 5khz is softer but then the compadre seemed a bit soft on coins

and the higher freq machines hit harder on the low conductive targets like brass buttons. The Tejon especially hits hard on gold and brass, and buttons and coins on edge.

Not being qualified in electronics, I'm not going to try to give you a definitive answer. The answers above ring true to my experiences and what I've read. However, I think you have to look further than just the frequency of the machine to know why it excels in one area of detecting more than another. The Tejon was, as far as I know, and going on the field test reports at the time it was released, built for relic hunters, so the whole design of the machine, I suspect, was done with finding relics at good depth in mind. I know this doesn't answer your question specifically and that there are others who can give you more technical information, but you may not find all the answers into what makes a good relic-hunting machine by just looking at the frequency aspect.. All the best, Sapper.

Thanks for the input,Scully you are right last week i was digging in sandy type soil and was getting a good and loud signal,i looked in the hole and it was a quarter on edge.And have found buttons that my other detectors have passed over.I think all in all some of the military buttons are in the lower conductivity range and running the higher frequency will help in picking them up.It is such a difference going over places with different frequency detectors.Thanks again for the answers from everyone.