Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fred, Did you ever read about Galveston, being flooded

Ron J

by a major storm many years ago, How they solved the problem,by burying the "old town" with tons and tons of fill,and rebuilt over the old buildings? Seen pictures a few yrs ago in an older treasure magazine. In some of the buildings that exist today,if you enter a cellar,it could actually be the original underneath.

In 1972, my folks sold the farm and moved to Portland, Texas. Portland is on the Texas Gulf Coast, across the bay from Corpus Christi. It was at this time that I became interested in buried treasure along the coast. Most of my reading was concentrated on areas around Corpus Christi. I do know that Galveston, Texas is another New Orleans waiting to happen. That is about all that I remember about Galveston Island.

Around 1975, after some research and talking to some folks, I located a small island off the coast that was used by gangsters for gambling and other things back in the 1930's. My Father had bought an old wood cabin crusier boat and we went to that island with metal detectors. The island was only about 200 yards from the main land and we got stuck in the mud and sand. We had to wait until the tide came back in and then we finally broke loose and got out of there...did not set foot on the island that day. A few weeks later, my Father called me and told me that he had borrowed an 18 foot flat bottom boat and for me to come back down to Portland. That weekend, we finally set foot on the small island and saw lots of foundation stones from old buildings, but the place was so snake infested and the vegetation was so thick that we did not stick around very long. Since then, it is my understanding that most of the folks in the area know about the island and if there ever was a treasure there, it has probably been found.

Ron, I have never had much experience with the sea or things associated with the sea...that is one reason that I am so interested in your stories. My background is horses, cows, and things associated with them, with a few small business ventures thrown in for good measure. We live about three hours from the Gulf Coast.