Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found some priceless treasure yesterday.....

Dan-MO

At least to me. While searching for something else in the attic of my fathers house I came across a small metal tool box size box. When opened it revealed dozens of 8mm home movies my mother and father had taken starting in the 1950s and ending in the early 60s. In my mothers handwriteing each box was labled with the event being filmed.......my 1st brithday, Chistmases starting in 1958 and for several years following, several family get togethers, my brothers 1st birthday,my great grandfathers birthday and many many more. I immediately went to work searching for a working 8mm projector. As luck would have it-my aunt had one that she let me borrow.....we hung a sheet on the wall and I grabed a film at random and finally figured out how to thread the film though the projector.The lights were turned off and the film rolled.

The first image to appear was a beautiful young woman in her 20s dressed in her Easter finest complete with Easter bonnet...... my mother. The camera then panned to 2 young boys proudly dressed in their Easter best and showing off their Easter baskets.....my brother Wayne and myself on Easter day 1961. No footage of my father in this one as he was behind the camera....but he is in many of the others films along with both sets of my grandparents,my great grandfather,aunts,uncles,cousins and folks I don't know.

The film is deteriorating and brittle. I am going to try to find someone to put it on to dvd but really don't know where to start looking or have any idea how to do this myself. Anyone have any ideas or have done anything similar to this before? I really want to get this done.

Back in 1989, (ironically my mother passed away, a month later,) my Mother had similar films. I had a VHS video camera at the time, you know those huge ones? I sat it on the kitchen table, and as my Mom ran her films, we talked, gave comments etc., while watching the films and recording them at the same time! Still have the films and projector. Need to professionally have them put on DVD also. Dan, it could get expensive, but priceless!

A phone call to a camera developing place... or any computor store may help.

Good luck Dan

Those are priceless and whatever the cost, it will be worth it.

Calm seas

Mikie

about 20 reels and I just have to get them transferred, if it is not too late.

Go to your local camera store and they will probably be able to do it for you. I don't think it would be hard to do if you have a projector. Some people do it by just showing it on a screen and video taping it themselves.

I wish I had more memories of my youth and my parents. I cherish what pictures I do have. No one ever tried to do a photo album of our family tree, so I'm trying to put it all on CD with what info I do have. At least they have a base to work from and continue on if they so choose. I found and old 8mm my wife had in her attic and films of her. Nice to see all those little memories again.

George-CT