Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found on the beach. Is it gold?

kpeterk

I found this at Daytona Beach Shores yesterday with my Whites PI. Didn't think much of it but put it in my pocket. After leaving, I gave it a closer look. Seems like it could be gold but I'm not sure. It is not magnetic, and not rusty. I thought it may be pyrite and heard that if you hit pyrite with a hammer, it will shatter. Well, after hitting it with a hammer, it doesn't shatter but bends. Weighs 1/3 ounce. What do you guys think?

gold1.JPG

gold2.JPG

it's a Philidelphia minted quarter. :poke:

Looks like gold and a bit o' quartz to me.

Looks like Gold and Quarts to me also...have it acid tested at a Jewlers, and then you will know for sure...

HH,

I have detected a lot of gold and got some copper nuggets. It is definately not gold and probably copper. Jerry

I am not sure what it is BUT we do have a name for that stuff we find in Daytona. Its known to us as 'Leaveright' . As in 'Leave 'er right there ' !

Tony:

In NC we call it tosserite as in "Toss 'er rite over yonder. If you leave 'er right there some one else will pick it up and we'll have this same conversation again!

kpeterk:
I agree with Pondmn. I've seen dirty gold nuggets, but the one you have looks more like copper. If I knew for sure that the colors in the picture are the same as the object, I'd say definitely copper.

Do you have any nitric acid ? It should eat up anything but gold I understand. I found a chunk this fall that looked just like a chunk of bronze
Burning it off with nitric acid it turned out looking just like some of the gold buttons I have made. But some old gold testing acid said it was not gold. It definitely has some copper in it but I need to get some fresh gold testing acids to be sure. I am pretty sure it is a piece of brass slag which one cannot tell color wise from gold. weight wise it seems a little light. But the acid will let me know for sure. Randy