Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

found in a friends yard close to an old RR line.

CliffHanger

I found this thing, that I hope is a cannon ball, very close to one of the oldest railroad lines in the USA, between Sacramento and Roseville Ca. It is about 3" in diameter and weighs about 6 #. Any ideas as to what it is? I'm thinking a bearing from a railway car but hoping for something more exciting. There is a line all around the middle of it like it was made in two pieces?!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cliffhanger

Thank you for your time and expertise, even though my would-be cannon ball is now probably a ball bearing.

Cliffhanger

PS I'm ordering your book.

Yep, that is a very well presented and informational piece. I now know that a piece I have is probably cannister shot (without your article I had not figured it out). The difficult part is going to be figuring out where the developer got his fill dirt that this ball showed up in and I have my fingers crossed that the site where the fill came from hasn't been destroyed some time in the last 20 years.

I work for the railroad, and I don't know what those iron balls are, but they are often in loads in open top rail cars. They appear to be made of mild steel, so probably aren't ball bearings, but maybe just in a form to be shipped and made into something else. I have some at home and pondered trying to get one rusty, then play a "trick" on my hunting buddies. Could be good for a laugh two on a slow day.

Could be it for a ball mill. It's how mines/mills grind up ore for processing. Three inch is a common size.

nvchris

While you are hunting along the rail tracks, don't forget to look at these,

http://www.douglascoulter.com/Personal/date_nail.html