Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FOUND CIVIL WAR BULLETS NEED HELP WITH SOME

steveholdem

FOUND ALL OF THESE EARLY THIS MOURNING IN A FRIEND OF MINE BACKYARD IN VA. NEED ALITTLE HELP WITH WHAT IS WHAT, THE THREE RINGER IS THE ONE I REALLY DON'T KNOW ABOUT . ANYBODY GOT ANY INSIGHT ON THESE WOULD BE MUCH APPERCIATED, WHAT ARE THEY WORTH??????

My son hunts for civil war relics and I've heard him say numerous times do not try and clean the patina off. Now I think you have found 3 that are more modernas they seemed to have kept there shape more and appear to be copper jacketed but by all means get them checked out by someone that can actually look at them up close. Nice finds and check out that spot very carefully. Good Luck and HH. :minelab:

Yes, at least two of those are Civil war era. The big one in the middle is a .69 cal. three ringer, check the tip of that bullet, I notice an indentation in the tip, if that appears to be a small hole that looks like a small screw hole, then you have a bullet that was "pulled" out of the barrel. Post back if you need info on the "how" and "why". The bullet to the right of the .69 is a .58 two ringer. The bullet to the left of the .69 appears to be a modern .45 auto full metal jacket.
Also two of the bullets in back appear to be modern. The back one on the far left with the flatten nose is definitaly a lead bullet, but I can't tell about that one without a closer look. Hope this helps. Txquest

YES THAT BULLET DOES HAVE A HOLE IN THE TOP, WHAT ABOUT THAT, PULLED OUT OF THE BARREL PLEASE EXPLAIN. ALL INFO VERY MUCH APPERCIATED.

As you probably know, most rifles in the Civil war era were muzzle loaders, requiring the shooter to load powder and bullet from the "business" end of their rifle and force the round into the firing chamber via a ram rod. Well, sometimes they experienced a "dud", and faced the deliema of a loaded rifle and no way to extract the round. This was commonly caused by bad powder that would not ignite or "dirty" ignition system that failed because of powder fouling, a disadvantage caused by using black powder. To cure the problem, the soldiers would attached a "worm screw" to the end of their ram rod, run the ram rod down the barrel and literaly screw the "worm screw" into the soft lead bullet and "pull" it back out thru the end of the barrel. The weapon would need a through cleaning before firing again. It is not uncommon to find these "pulled" rounds in areas of intense finding, so get back out there and show us some more finds. "Pulled" bullets are certainly collector items and tell a story of desperation in combat. Hope this helps. Txquest

Steve, I made a spelling error on the last post to you. That line that says....intense finding should read "intense fighting". Maybe one of these days I will learn to walk and chew gum at the same time. Txquest