Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found button need ID help.

manganos

I acutally found this at my sons elementary school here in Dinwiddie, Va. The school used to be a colored school back in the segregated days. I found this buried a couple of inches down just outside of the swings.

DSCN0225.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

It has the mark of the infantry horn with wreaths around the button. It has some writing but I can't make it out just yet. It may say something "yorkshire". This is my first button find and I am really curious to find out more about it. Thanks!

Sorry, Button reads: Oxfordshire Buckinghamshire . I believe this button is from overseas?!? I wonder how it got here :)

No offense meant, but due to the lack of a clear and close photo I can't ID the button with much certainty. At this point it looks like one of the varieties of the emblem of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Infantry Regiment (a.k.a. "the Ox & Bucks Regiment") ...which is the oldest still-existing British Army regiment. I've got a dug example of one type of its Regimental button. The Ox & Bucks Regiment was here (in USA territory) in the French & Indian War, the Revolutionary War, and the war of 1812. It also played a significant role on D-Day. So of course, it has a marvelous regimental history. Just do a web-search and you'll get loads of info about it.

If I recall correctly, some other digger found a similar item last month and posted an ID-request about it over at treasurenet.com ...and I answered it. Or, maybe the ID-request was here at Findmall. (Sorry I can't remember which, but it's been a really long day ...and I'm over 55. ;-)

Your button's lack of a maker-marked back causes it to be a bit difficult to establish a solid time-era for. But I suspect that a British Military Buttons equivalent of Albert's button-book has to exist somewhere. : )

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy (Pete George)

Thanks for the quick response. I have done a little research and found out there was a British route just north of me during the revoultionary war. I would have never thought to find a button like this around here, and in a school playground area no less! Thanks again. (No offense taken on the photo comment, I'm still trying to learn the macro selection)

Manganos, you're welcome. : ) By the way, your post correcting the name to Oxfordshire instead of Yorkshire arrived at the forum while I was typing, so I didn't get to see it until after I made my post.

In it, I said I knew somebody had dug a button with that emblem recently and posted an ID-request about it, and that I had replied to it. I did some searching and I found that ID-request.

"Can anyone ID this button?" by NealNoINIronBrigade back on sept.16, 2005 ...and I answered it on Feb. 9, 2006 (just a few days after I first got told about the Findmall forums). As of tonight (Sunday) that thread is close to the bottom of Page 3 of this forum (Relic Hunting).

You might want to go to that thread, to see the photo Neal posted of his button. I mention that photo because I think it shows the Rev-War era version of the button. I'm almost certain that your button (and mine) are not Rev-War era, but at least 1820s or MUCH later, because ours are "two-piece" brass buttons. Mine has an iron back ...which may be the reason the back is missing out of yours. But who knows for sure? ;-)

As I said, with no back - or a heavily rust-coated iron back like mine's - determining a date-of-manufacture for a Foreign button gets far more difficult. I suspect it's going to require a reference-book of British Military Buttons. I'll do a search for one, and you do that also, please.

Meanwhile, here is something I said to Neal in my reply to him on Feb. 9th, 2006.
"You can see a photo of the emblem on your button - and read the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire (a.k.a. "Ox & Bucks") regiment's history) at:
[www.royalgreenjackets.co.uk]

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy (Pete George)