Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found and returned a lost ring.

rons1947

Hi All. On July 23rd,I was hunting the surf, at Cocoa Beach,during low tide.I was approached by a woman,who asked if I could search for her lost 5 diamond wedding ring,that was lost in the inter-coastal waterway.She said that it was lost in 3 feet of water, under a dock,behind her friend's house. On July 28th,I received a call from her and agreed to meet her Son at the house, the next day,to look for the ring. I usually water hunt with my Excal. 2,but it is away for repair,so I used my Sand Shark.I arrived,was shown the area where the ring was lost,and began to hunt. The area under the dock was a combination of sand and a hard bottom made up of mud and shells,which made scooping difficult. I got several signals,most of which seemed to be pieces of aluminum or aluminum cans.I tried to cover the area well,but didn't hear anything that might be a ring.After about 50 minutes of searching,I was about to give up.I finally went back to the area under the dock,where I had began the search,and again got the same aluminum tone that I had heard several times before.I dug out the target and put it to the side,then went over the spot again.This time,I got a much smaller,different sounding signal.After several scoops,I was surprised to see the wedding ring in my scoop.I put my equipment in the car and called the ring's owner.She was very happy to know that her ring had been found and offered me a reward,which I refused.I was just very happy to have been able to find her ring, just 2 weeks before she and her husband will celebrate their 25th anniversary.:happy:

Very good gesture on your part. Congrats !!

Congrats ron on the great find and giving metal detectorists a good name!:yo:

Thanks! That is a find you or her will never forget. Great story. HH :minelab:Hope you get your Excalibur back soon.

Well done Fellow Hunter!!

After returning 37 rings at no charge I have reconsidered the "getting paid" thing and have decided to ask for a token fee of $20 to offset the cost of batteries in the future and I have never refused an offered bottle of wine or gift certificat for a nice meal!

If they can't afford that or there are extenuating circumstances I'll forget the fee.

Best wishes for continued success Friend,

CJ

Thanks for posting the returned ring story
and congratulations on finding the ring! Next
time, accept the reward... if not for yourself,
then for your club or a favorite charity. Your
time and knowledge should be worth something
IMHO.
Gold Nuggets :wiggle:

I agree about the reward thing. Nice work. If we accept no fee, or even if we do, we might ask to have a picture taken when returning the ring, with the MD equipment in the picture and get their release to send it to the local newspaper. Write up a shorty and send it in as a human interest story. Gotta be good press and maybe sway the attitude of folks on the beaches about what we do. Cupajo...betcha if the local TV station heard about what you have done they'd do a shorty on it and put it on the air sometime. There's probably a few of us who could improve the image of the MD beach hunter community of hunters.

It's personal choice on the reward thing. My thought is if you spend much time and expense getting there, you ought not have to pay out of your pocket to offer help. Fuel and vehicle maintenance is not cheap. Just that overhead doesn't begin to cover the cost of your specialized equipment...and we haven't even begun to talk about what you experience and expertise is worth. I'll accept expense money or reward money if I find the object. Most of the folks who belong to Ringfinders offer up 10% or more to the charity of their choice when getting a reward. If people began to learn about donating the reward to a charity via the newspapers or TV shorty's, the image of what we do would be improved. How do you beat that?

HH all...jim