Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found a large cent

jabbo

and the IH penny in the woods today in central Jersey. The large cent is 1801. The IH is 1870 and in great condition with nice smooth green patina. Strange how the large cent has no pitting in one small area, entire back side is pitted. Nothing else was in the hole except a rusty nail. Seems like something kept that area from pitting, maybe it was the nail. Was able to see the date while the dirt was still on. Each 6 to 7 inches deep. CoinStrike with 8" coil. Jabbo

Nice finds!

I fould freek out if i found somthing that old , you know somtimes two diffrent metals can react badly and corrode it seems to me the best place is a woods, for coins but in that farm feild they get so badd you can hardly read the date. plus i dont think those old cents had any alloys at all wich makes it even more prone to decay, Good going mon

Man that indian head looks great! congrats.

great finds, hh

Nice finds.
When two dissimilar metals react with each other, it's called a "galvanic reaction".
Either the nail drew the corrosion, or there was some sort of neutralizing mineral near that spot on the coin.

Mmmmm, those are both beauties, I love the flowing hair design on the LC!!!

I looked at the coin book carefully. IMO, this is not the flowing hair penny.

I found one large cent a few years ago. Can not read the date on mine. A very exciting moment when you dig it.

Jabbo,
You are correct on the design of your LC.
I believe it is called "Draped Bust" as opposed to " Bare Bust" which was the runner up design (the congressmen were in favor of it, but their wives weren't) A little coin humor:rolleyes:
The Flowing Hair was prior to the Draped Bust.

Very nice finds, you gotta love finding a large cent. Artie

Lots of Colonial and U.S. large cents here in Jersey. Problem is they often get pitted.